Monday, March 4, 2019

SXSW 2019 Music Preview


A few things have changed since I last wrote a music or movie review on this site: I now have a beautiful and loving girlfriend, I have a new full-time job, and I no longer see over a hundred movies in the theater every year. And if I have any hopes of holding on to the first two, I can no longer be found crying in a dark corner somewhere shot gunning the champagne of beers and taking Fireball shots because the bassist of (insert band name here) won’t marry me. This stupid invention called social media will no longer allow me these private therapeutic moments. I hate the interwebs!

But I felt as though I had to write at least one more SXSW preview because of all the wonderful experiences I’ve had over the years. I was able to see Run the Jewels beat the snot out of some random scrub who ran on stage and tried to fight them for some unknown reason, I waited three hours in line to see Muse play a small venue while debating with everyone who was within earshot of me where Daft Punk was going to play their secret show that weekend; which of course never actually happened, and I witnessed Vince Staples make every white person in the crowd nervous when he compared the stage he was performing on to an auction block at a slave trade. Ah the good ole’ days.

Well after sifting through the 2,000 bands that are slated to play this year’s festival, I came across what I believe to be the clear highlights of the up and comers or the artists who will be headlining festivals for years to come. And for those who are new to this site or to SXSW itself, I suggest that you pick three or four of these acts and try to follow them around, this is the easiest way to do this festival and, in the process, you’ll discover dozens of new acts (who are playing either before or after) that you would have never otherwise come across. Let’s start off with the sure things:

Cautious Clay – he brings a healthy balance of electronic and natural sounds to his beats which are accompanied by lyrics that are for the most part, streams of consciousness. At one point he’s singing about his insecurities that creep up when he’s entering a new relationship and the next, he’s talking about the pressures of paying off student loans; so basically a direct line to my brain. I rate him as very FRESH as he’s clearly going to blow up.

TIERRA WHACK – her intro album Whack World is truly some weird ish! The way that she is able to combine her mix of RnB and Rap with her prowess as a visual artist makes you truly believe that you are witnessing a real-life Black Willy Wonka. I can’t help but laugh whenever I hear her say “ABC (all boys cry) …MTV (men touch vaginas) …BET (bitches eat tacos)”. I give her and her creativity a rating of very FRESH.

LEIKELI47 – some of you may remember her from my SXSW recap last year. She was the clear highlight for me back then and I honestly believe that she may be this year’s highlight for me as well. She is the closest thing we’ll ever get to having another Missy Elliott as she delivers both the fierceness and confidence that comes with being a badass female in a male dominant genre as well as exposing her vulnerability when it comes to falling in love. Trust me, you will not want to miss her this time around as she is FRESH.

NADIA NAKAI – While I like her potential, I think she’s going to wind up more towards the pop side of things more so than that of a true hip hop artist as songs of hers like Yass Bitch and Naaa Meaan have garnered the most attention. These certainly aren’t bad songs, they are in fact club bangers but the second she gets signed to a label they are going to want more of the same. And you know what, good for her! I rate her as sort of FRESH.

TOBI LOU – to me he sounds like the male version of Noname. His songs are mellow grooves that aren’t really about anything; at one point he’s singing about love and the next he’s singing about video games. And yes, I know I just gave Cautious Clay respect for doing something similar, but his beats are doper and his lyrics are deeper and actually wind up telling a narrative when look at the whole. I rate Tobi as sort of WEAK but he’s definitely worth checking out.  

PINK SWEAT$ - mellow RnB with stripped music as his background. This is super chill and will more than likely put you to sleep live but I wouldn’t be against using his tunes for a “Getting Laid” mixtape. He’s kind of WEAK.

HONORABLE MENTION – DRAMA – chill electronic Rnb and KOFI BLACK – his vocal range is solid and he has good production but he will need the right collaboration to take off.

Now on to the Rock n Roll acts

THE BLINDERS – They remind me of when the Arctic Monkeys were young and actually making rock music. Their lyrics are nowhere near as clever as the Monkeys’ but they are angry and that’s all that really matters when you want something to scream and shout to while listening to blaring distortion and groovy baselines. I give them a rating of FRESH.

SQUID – I hate to give SXSW credit but they actually hit the nail on the head when they said this band was the perfect blend of Television and LCD Soundsystem. They have quirky songs that are sometimes atmospheric and other times dancey. They are a little more Rock n Roll than LCD but no one can be LCD so I’m glad to see that they are trying to make their own way. They don’t have many songs out but what they do have is very solid. I give them a rating of FRESH.

BAMBARA – this band is self-described as Western gothic post punk. Just imagine a dark cowboy playing in the corner of a bar in Marfa, TX and that’s what you’ll get in this band. They are loud, energetic, and at times chaotic. What more do you want? They also get a rating of FRESH.

PRIESTS -  I’m so happy they’re back and keeping the D.C. punk scene alive with their ear grabbing drumbeats and lead singer who gives you a glimpse of what Janis Joplin would sound like if she were in a punk band. You can tell that she puts every part of her being into every note she belts out and I can’t help but respect that. I give them a rating of very FRESH.

AMYL AND THE SNIFFERS – this is high energy punk rock that makes you want to throw on some tight leather and spray one another with liquor as you jump around a mosh pit. Enough said. They are barely FRESH.

CHERRY GLAZERR – I was hesitant to put them in this review as I can’t imagine anyone not being exposed to them at this point but they are an L.A. rock band who remind you of the girl grunge bands from the 90’s. They have a high energy sound and that certainly comes across in their live performance. Be sure to check them out as they are FRESH.

HONORABLE MENTION – SASAMI – she is the former keyboardist for Cherry Glazer and she branched out to form her own pop/rock band. DRAB MAJESTY – they sound like a sadder version of The Smiths. The problem with them is that every song literally sounds the same but its good for nostalgia purposes.

Image result for cautious clayImage result for the blinders band

1 comment:

  1. good work! Can't wait to catch Leikeli47 again!

    ReplyDelete