Thursday, June 28, 2012

Caveman

For the longest time I kept getting Caveman mixed up with the other indie band Cavemen. They should really start coming out with books for band names like they do for babies. The lack of creativity is amazing. I could never remember which one sucked and which one I really liked. Well luckily on my infamous night of somehow partying until 5 am on my 4th day of SXSW, I narrowly escaped Cavemen(not good) at a day show and ran into Cavemen(good)  at the Hype Hotel after party. What a triple win!!! After getting my second wind, I somehow skipped the line and got into V.I.P. of this party with free drinks, got exposed to the greatest taco on earth(Doritos taco locos), and I finally got see to Caveman perform. Well first, the reason I got in was because of my equally drunk buddy who is married but I convinced him to stay out until 5. He later got in big trouble with his wife because of this but whatever, married guys should never party with single ones. And second, I have been hesitant to write about this band because it was after 14 hours of drinking when I heard them. Not to mention I was in this state of euphoria and dancing on couches.

But after listening to their album Coco Beware on the reg, I think I can recommend this band without reservation. They are a 5 piece band from NYC who's music is  pop heavy and very very indie. I know that's a horrible description but when you think of festival indie band, this is the sound that pops into your head. Mellow sometimes dancy music that builds to a climax which makes them a great daytime drinking act.
http://onlyfreshness.blogspot.com/2012/04/day-drinking.html

Old Friend is a perfect lead single for them because it gives you everything you need to know about Caveman. It shows off the 3 guitars, keyboard, and drums, as well as the lead's voice which really acts as instrument itself. They sound next of Grizzly Bear in the sense that every instrument in the band gets a chance to shine and their music is very atmospheric at times. Listening to their music you wouldnt think it would be good for a festival or even a late night party but their sound jumps out at you in a way that's tough to describe. All you need to know is that at 4 in the morning when they took the stage they were able to hold the attention of a room full of blasted people who were just there to keep the party going. But 5 minutes into the show everyone was dancing(mostly on beat) to the music these 5 hipsters from NYC were performing for us and we all left with a new act to tell all of our friends about. Well, after we told them about the tacos of course. Do yourself a favor and check out their songs Easy Water, My Room, and Great Life to Live as well. I rate these guys as pretty FRESH!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV_SS5LJZ-4

6 comments:

  1. Ok, I'm not denying their talent but they remind me a little too much of Fleet Foxes who I cannot stand. I love the backstory on how you discovered them but I'm still gonna have to pass.

    Did you know there's now a band called WHY ?? "Hey. We're WHY. We love Tennis."

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah i'm not a fan of the foxes either. Not everything that comes out of Seattle's music scene is great! Just click on the Caveman link again, get on your couch with a tito's and sprite, and start dancing. You'll see these guys in a whole new light! :)

    Why might be the greatest band name ever! I may join my buddy's band after all with the condition that our band name is I.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, that's Grey Goose to you.

    What is the other really stupid band name I saw the other day? It wasn't Tweet (yes, that exists)..it was something even more painful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just tried to like your reply.

    ReplyDelete