Thursday, September 15, 2016

Austin City Limits Sunday Preview

The last time I saw Radiohead play a show in Austin I was literally dancing my ass off in the front row while rocking a gaudy Muse tee shirt and not giving a damn who saw me doing either one of them! And when I say a gaudy tee shirt, I mean one that had 12 inch block lettering on it that clearly showed guitarist Ed O’Brien how much I loved their fellow British and pseudo rival counterpart out of Teignmouth. He had to be thinking to himself, who the hell is this random nerd with giant Malcolm X glasses that keeps hopping around like that racist jumping bean in those crazy Mexican food ads? Should I call security or should I simply punish him by inviting him backstage and forcing him to eat English delicacies like minced meat and chips?

Well thankfully he did neither as he eventually broke down and recognized my freshness when he gave me a head nod of approval midway through one of their songs. And it’s because of this incredible moment that I asked my friend if I should once again wear my Muse shirt to their show this coming Friday night. Her reply was "only if you want to get your ass kicked!" Now I’m not sure if she meant that she was going to kick my ass or if fellow Radiohead fans were going to band together to team up and beat me down themselves; but if she meant the latter, then my only response to that is clearly LOL! And yes I know how lame it is to write lol in an article but I’m not sure what’s worse, that or the fact that Microsoft Word actually acknowledges it as being a word!

Anyway, I came really close to dressing up as a KKK member for Halloween one year (I’m black btw) and I would, without hesitation, wear a Dead Kennedy’s shirt to a skinhead rally; so the last thing I’m worried about is a bunch of middle aged Radiohead nerds giving me paper cuts after they throw their lukewarm Starbucks at me for wearing a Muse shirt to a Thom Yorke show. But I am a little worried about Die Antwoord losing their shit and running after me; something may get lost in translation and they’ll forget that this isn’t like South Africa where you can just beat up or randomly kill black people and get away with it. Oh wait, considering some of the recent events that have occurred in this country, they may actually feel right at home! Dammit! Well before I’m publicly executed on SnapChat this coming fall, here are a few bands you should go see on Sunday during this year’s ACL.

First up is the Odd Future veteran Domo Genesis. Domo brings a space age alternative flow that you would normally associate with this crew as he rhymes about how fresh his style is, how much he loves to party, and how he loves to smoke weed. Oh wait…that’s not alternative, that’s just hip hop! But it’s his approach to these subjects and his underground beats that helps separate him from the pack. When I first heard Go Outside, I found myself openly dancing in front of a classroom full of stunned children and for whatever reason I didn’t stop once I noticed them watching me. Now that’s real hip hop right there! I give this kid a rating of FRESH and I suggest that you check him out before he realizes that this industry is bullshit and he decides to return to the local skate park never to be seen again. 1:00 on the Miller Lite Stage.
https://soundcloud.com/user2610538/domo-genesis-gamebreaker-feat

Next up is Chronixx and ZIncfence Redemption who play the Honda Stage at 2:00. They remind me of the good ol’ days when reggae used to be about the good stuff like religion and the end of the world! You know, before Shaggy came on the scene and brought us the awful It Wasn’t Me song. Not I know that everyone will be quick to remind me that it was Bob Marley who made this genre fun with his wonderful songs about love, and yes some of that is in Chronixx’s music as well, but every now and then I want something that makes me want to throw on a beret and start a revolution; and that is exactly what I get from this group. So be sure to punch your ticket to hell by smoking weed on a Sunday and rocking out to Chronixx with me. (Disclaimer: I don’t smoke weed) I rate them as kind of FRESH.
https://soundcloud.com/chronixxmusic/chronixx-here-comes-trouble

After this you may as well continue your ride on the sin train and pop on in to see Bob Moses. They are two dudes from Vancouver who make thumping dance floor beats for you and a new friend to make out to. Their songs are a slow build but thankfully they don’t resort to or rely on the now tired and played out beat drop that everyone else uses to get the party going once the song reaches its climax. They instead simply rely on the quality of their music to do that. Their sound wouldn’t be considered revolutionary or anything, in fact it’s quite simple, but simple done well is still surprisingly effective. And their inclusion of live instruments should help make this a fun show. I rate them as FRESH and suggest you see them play the Zilker Stage at 5:00.
https://soundcloud.com/the-bob-moses/tearing-me-up-1

Miike Snow’s live show is a thousand times better than any of his recorded music would make it appear to be and it’s because of that that I will pop in for at least a few minutes. He dresses like a cracked out Euro on Halloween with his silk shirts and weird masks but trust me when I say that only adds to the show. If you want to keep the electronic dance party going, do yourself a favor and see if his style is for you. I rate him as a little WEAK but it sure beats seeing Chris Stapleton or camping out two hours early for LCD Soundsystem (something that I may actually do myself). Honda Stage 6:00.
https://soundcloud.com/miikesnow/genghis-kahn-remix-louis-the-child

I can’t stand Haim and I probably won’t see Kacey Musgraves or Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats but I’ve actually heard good things about the last two if you’re into country music. So on your way to check them out, come say hi to me before the rapture happens at 10:00. Later fools!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment