Wednesday, February 18, 2015

SXSW 2015 Preview : Dead Leaf Echo, BORNS, and Chastity Belt

Well now that most of you are recovering from your 50 Shades of Grey injuries and have a ton of time on your hands, here are a few bands you should check out to help you get ready for SXSW. But before you do, please remember ladies that you must learn to separate fantasy from reality. I cannot tell you how many women I have seen walking funny these past few days; not all men are going to be the next Christian Grey and I am more than certain that I will be searching forever to find a 22 year sneaky hot virgin who will let me randomly spank her in my laundry room. Now on to the bands...

First up is a New York emo band named Dead Leaf Echo. Thankfully for us their emo leans more towards the goth tip than it does the My Chemical Romance "I hate my science teacher" emo. It feels as though these guys listened to way too many Cure songs when they were kids and this band was the result of it.Their song So Wrong has the lead almost crying (slight exaggeration) over their atmospheric and 80's tinged guitars and I have to say that I can't help but like it. But keep in mind that this is not high energy music so please make sure you're not on downers at this point of the festival if do you decide to check them out. I rate them as FRESH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNqNCmvdU7U

Next up is BORNS (I don't have the funny looking 0 with a / in it); he's a kid out of Michigan who now lives in LA. His song Electric Love from his EP Candy is early 2000's pop at its finest. He has a gender bending voice that at times sounds like its a female's but at other times reminds you that he is indeed a male who is singing over energetic electronic beats. If you are in touch with your inner white self then this music is definitely for you but even if you not, just imagine any of the teenage heartthrobs from 90's television finally getting a chance to make an album; this is exactly what it would sound like. It's not really my thing but I'm sure he will blow up this year so you should check him out. I rate him as kind of WEAK.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r9mAs6Uj5A

The last one today is Chastity Belt, a four piece girl rock band who sings odd songs about giant vaginas or men who want to kill them with knives. This is fun garage rock that's not really all that challenging musically but it works great for mindless entertainment as you drive your life partner to Book Woman. The jury is still out on these girls but for now I give them a rating of kind of  FRESH.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU0xad1JNNQ




No comments:

Post a Comment