Monday, April 2, 2012

Wrath of the Titans

As my friend and I watched the preview for Wrath which was sandwiched in between Battleship aka Transformers at Sea and Men in Black 3000 :The Search for More Money, I asked myself, why. Why on earth are they making this film? Is it punishment for me falling asleep during the first one? Do they know that I am dumb enough to convince myself to actually see it and pay the ridiculous amount that they charge for 3D? Well as it turns out it felt like punishment and yes I did pay that ridiculous price. But as my friend said "If you had told me in 1993 that the hero and the villian from Schindler's List would also play opposite of each other in a remake of Clash of the Titans, I would've thought that you were crazy". Excellent point and I am fascniated with Greek mythology so if course I see it opening weekend.

What's the plot you may be wondering? Haa well I think it has something to do with Hades and Ares teaming up to resurrect the father of Zeus and Hades so that they can keep their powers that are slowly fading because the humans no longer pray to them. Hey Greek gods, here's a hint, stop popping down to Earth to impregnate the hottest women around and people may still actually like you. Just a suggestion. Anyway Zeus is betrayed, Perseus has to save him, he teams up with a hottie queen and some scrub cousin of his to do so, and there's some worthless kid of his that pops up from time to time to be a nuisance.

This movie was clearly made to show off the special effects and they definitely delivered on that. The movie looks amazing. The giant cyclops were cool and when the giant monster shows up at the end spraying hot lava everywhere I finally thought I hadn't wasted the extra money for the 3D charge. Bill Nighy pops in for a bit for some fun scenes where he's having a one sided discussion with the mechanical owl. But honestly if you ask me anything about this movie 3 months from now I will draw a total blank, just like I did with the first one. I honestly didn't even know that they had switched actresses for Andromeda until the next day. Whatever, replace a French hottie with an English one and I will still show up. Actually the casting of Rosamund Pike inspired my buddy to go back and watch Die Another Day (DAD) again. That's dedication! I mean Halle Berry was smoking in it but geez they lost me when Pierce Brosnan is driving a Mercedes with no issues in an ice castle. Anyway as far as Wrath goes, if you have a big screen at home, red box this movie when you're bored and save some money. The actors in it are good and look  like they are having fun, the effects keep you entertained, and there's even a minotaur in it but man the plot is flimsy at best. I give it a rating of pretty weak. I am off to go watch a real Halle Berry movie, Swordfish. Worth the pain of John Revolta (yes I spelled that correctly) mainly for the hacking scenes. Trust me, they are worth it.

3 comments:

  1. Men in Black 3000 :The Search for More Money = LOOOOL. Willow needs to whip her hair for Daddy & Momma some more.

    I can't bring myself to ever watch this movie, I can't. Even though I own Big Willie Style. And listen to it. Don't tell anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh you'll eventually breakdown. It really does look like one of the worst movies ever

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure I will (see it, I mean).
    I miss Will Smith's summer blockbusters. I lived for that shit every July.

    I don't know about this Wrath of the Titans, though. Trailer looks cheese. So what do you think about "Immortals" - 300 Redux?

    ReplyDelete