Tuesday, May 14, 2013

ACL Preview : Parquet Courts, Tame Impala, and D'Angelo


Let me be the first to state the obvious; there is no way Zilker Park holds up for two straight weekends of a festival. So do yourself a favor and get out to Austin’s otherwise awesome park for the first weekend of ACL so that you are not caught in a mud/dirt fest in week 2 and you don’t miss the surprise hologram that is Freddy Mercury during Muse’s performance!

I’ve had quite a few friends ask me what I think of the lineup this year and my answer is simply this; it’s great if you’re over the age of 40 or have never been to ACL before. But for the rest of us it's the same ole same ole. For the oldies in the house you have Depeche Mode and The Cure. I can’t hate on The Cure because 90% of the bands I like wouldn’t be around if it were for them and it will be cool to see Robert Smith and his Edward Scissorhands hairdo live. Depeche Mode…meh. I mean, I had guaranteed access to their SXSW show but decided to get too drunk during the day while chasing punk bands and free BBQ plates instead of seeing a band whose best days are long gone. But I have respect for them so I’ll probably be in the house.

In the “We’ve played ACL 8000 times before category” lies Muse, put me to sleep Wilco, Kings of Leon, Vampire Weekend, The National, Passion Pit, and Silversun Pickups just to name a few. But after I looked over the entire lineup, I actually had to concede the fact that ACL had the best lineup of all the major festivals this year; that was until my friend reminded me that Bonnaroo had R. Kelly and that ended that argument. Well played Bonnaroo…well played!

The big act that I’m excited to see is Muse, mainly because they are my favorite band and they always put on a killer live show. If you have only heard their recorded stuff, it pales in comparison how Matt rips his guitar live. Their new album aside, they are a must see. Atoms For Peace is another act that excites me because it’s Thom Yorke and their album is growing on me. Plus have you ever seen a black man inspired to dance by a goofy white guy that's gyrating on stage? Well besides Carlton from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air that is. The National, Queens of the Stoned Age, Arctic Monkeys, Kendrick Lamar, and Silversun Pickups are the other obvious choices.
I will be previewing a ton if acts as we get closer to the actual festival but here are some under the radar bands to pop in. I've previewed Fidlar here before after SXSW
I think you definitely need to check them out in a weekend that's full of mellow and fruity indie rock. This will definitely wake you up a bit and may even inspire a mosh pit or two.  Another band that is similar to Fidlar is Parquet Courts. They aren’t as good but they're still underground New York punk with a lead singer who sounds like a real life Max Headroom meets a young Ben Stein. "Bueller? Bueller?" The baseline and the beats of the drums  are pretty basic but it’s punk music so it’s supposed to be simple. I have seen them live before and about half of their songs have you dancing around like an idiot but then the other half have you standing there wondering why your beer is getting warm. I definitely suggest checking them out but they get a rating of kind of WEAK.

Tame Impala is another band to pop in on. They wont exactly blow you over with their performances but they give you a refreshing take on psychedelic music by adding a surfer pop element to it. Elephant is a direct rip from Deep Purple and The Beatles but it’s a fun song. Solitude is Bliss and Mind Mischief are a few cuts that are a bit more progressive and seems to set them apart. In the end I can’t really give a psychedelic band a rating of fresh because after a while it starts to sound  like every other psych band you've heard in the past, but that’s the nature of the style and I can’t really blame them for that. So they get a rating of kind of WEAK.

Last preview for today is D’Angelo. I never thought that I would be writing a preview for him as an up and comer to check out but it’s like that saying with sex; if you’ve gone so long without having it, it’s like you’re a virgin again. I was in grade school when he first broke out and he almost single handedly saved RnB music. This is around the time when Soul music was morphing into full blown hip hop and you had Puff Daddy dancing in everyone’s videos.  And by the time his second album and masterpiece Voodoo came out, everyone was emulating Missy Elliot and doing weird dances in their videos. Thankfully his Neo-soul movement reminded you of old school Marvin in his heyday and all of his tracks had live instruments that had a jazz feel to it. Missing were all of the over produced beats with awful samples. It also didn’t hurt that he looked like a real life black statue of David; but that eventually lead to his downfall. He didn’t know how to handle all of the attention he was getting and that led to him becoming an alcoholic. Well, it seems like he’s back on track now and I would strongly suggest seeing his shows while you have the opportunity because what he brings live rivals what you see at a Erykah Badu show with its sexual energy. D’Angelo is definitely FRESH but I will not be bringing a date to this show as I do not want her looking at me like I’m a scrub after seeing him.

More previews to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment