Tuesday, March 19, 2013

SXSW Bands That Will Blow Up



“Man I really have to stop drinking Hennessey on a Sunday!” “…and man you know I can’t wait to hear Justin Timbo (Timerberlake) son! Cry Me A River? Come on son!” These are quotes from two different people and sadly the quote that you would normally associate with a black guy isn’t the one you would have guessed. But these are the conversations that you have around the time of the best festival in the world, SXSW. This is a time where people who don’t look like Lil Wayne drink Hennessey, those who normally eat healthy are now elbowing others to get to their free Nacho Cheese Dorito Locos Taco, and apparently wearing boxers in place of actual shorts is acceptable. Well somewhere in the middle of all of this there is actual music being played and here are a few of the bands that will blow up in the next year that I haven’t already previewed.

First up is Alt-J. They are four piece indie band from Leeds who have already been up for a ton of British Music Awards and came into SX with quite a bit of hype behind them. When  I initially heard the lead singers voice I was immediately turned off to this band as he sounds like a mix of a Chinese Chris Martin and the lead singer of pre Sex On Fire Kings of Leon. Musically they sound like a weird Mumford and Sons and sadly when you put these elements together you get the result that you would expect from such a wack marriage. I rate these guys as WEAK but I would suggest checking them out for yourself because I met quite a few people who told me they put on a really good show. I would just suggest downing a few sake bombs before doing so.
Next up is Fidlar.  I actually really wanted to check out this self described low fi garage/surf rock band from LA but they kept running up against other bands that I had more of a desire to see. I would describe them more a garage band with punk tendencies as all of their songs are about cheap beer, friends who smoke all of their weed, and awkward moments with girls. I have seen footage of their shows and everyone seems to be going nuts in the crowd, feeding off of the energy the band is displaying. They are a fun act and I give them a rating of kind of FRESH.
Here is the last band to check out for today, Chvrches. After seeing them twice, the jury is still out on these guys. I want to like them but honestly they sound too much like Purity Ring just not quite as talented. Maybe it’s because they don’t look hipster enough; their A&R’s should make them wear mesh t shirts with studded Malcolm X hats. Their songs are catchy but when you’re watching them live you have the same thoughts you do when seeing Cut Copy…”man these guys are REALLY white!”. Who knows, after touring for a while and getting road tested, their live show might improve but for now I rate them as kind of WEAK!.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxxUEzOvU-Y

I know that 2 of 3 artists I said would blow up have gotten a WEAK rating from me but there seemed to be a buzz following each of the acts after their shows. Word of mouth spreads quickly and can lead to undeserved success. I think that people get excited from the hype machine and all of the free alcohol and it isn’t until after the hangover wears off that that they realized they downloaded a subpar album and really shouldn’t have done whip its with that homeless looking guy in the bathroom stall.

1 comment:

  1. So, I like Purity Ring far better than Chvrches (first hated them on spelling of name principle alone) but I like Chvrches a lot more now than I did before seeing them live. Doesn't mean I won't change the station when Sirius plays them for the 839th time that day or that I'll be buying their album but I guess I'm saying that I get it.

    I totally have to disagree with you on Alt-J. I couldn't love them more and finally seeing them live cemented it. Lawlzing at your decription of Joe Newman's voice but the very uniqueness of it just adds to this band's organic quality. Their sounds are unlike anything I've heard and they are mesmerizing live. I've also gotta throw the snob card out there and say that, having been listening to them pre-Mercury and since they were a small, unknown band who played at friends' weddings, I have a very soft/protective place in my heart for them. I totally get the hype and hope they become huge.

    Oh, and I never even got my taco :(

    ReplyDelete