Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Austin City Limits Saturday Preview

This coming ACL could mark a major turning point in my life; either I will continue being the sometimes fresh individual I’ve become in my old age or I will head off into the world of salmon colored shorts and boating shoes as I shop for overpriced homes in northern suburbia. Why such a dramatic change in my lifestyle you ask? Well it’s because I attempted to do something other than go to a show for the first time in a while this past weekend and the results were disasterous.

I decided to go watch a little college football with the future yuppies of this world on Rainey St due to the fact there really weren’t any good bands in town this Labor Day and I thought that this could be some sort of common ground for us as I desperately needed to get out of the house. And sadly, I wound up learning something rather quickly about myself that hadn’t occurred to me before, and that is that I no longer like people! Now it could be that Austin was just temporarily experiencing a massive influx of assholes from the northeast because UT was playing Notre Dame the next day, but whatever the reason, the bar was full of morons who were constantly yelling inappropriate things like we were still in the 70’s and falling all over themselves as they spilled their beers on me. It’s no wonder not a single girl talked to me, I had to have the face of a Mr. Wilson (Dennis the Menace) all night as I constantly ducked and dodged current and former frat boys! Well I’m desperately hoping to redeem myself in the coming weeks as ACL will once again attempt to bring me and my future bosses together in some sort of harmony. Please Kelly figure it out as I am not quite ready to trade the random encounter with a hipster for a run in with the local grandmaster of the klan. So having said that, here’s a look at a few up and coming bands for both you and me to see on Saturday.

First up is the British RnB group Honne. For those of you who actually read my writing, this will be the third time you’ve had to hear me gush over these foreign scrubs but at some point dammit, I know you’re going to listen! It sucks that they’re playing the noon slot on a Saturday but you’ll already be up watching College Gameday anyway, so pop in on them afterwards. If you like old school funky soul like Cameo and the Gap Band, you’ll like these British imposters. And even if you don’t and you prefer bands like Coldplay, they can still meet your needs there too as the lead singer sounds just like Chris Martin at times; so much so in fact that I honestly thought they were sampling his voice on a few of their songs. I rate them as pretty FRESH! Noon on the Home Away Stage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX5f0NcqlMs

After them comes The Gills. They bring straight up up tempo Rock n Roll, which to be honest, feels a little out of place for ACL. And I guess that explains why they have such an early set. If you’ve had your morning coffee by the time the early afternoon arrives, go check out these Rock n Roll freaks from Pensacola. They aren’t reinventing the wheel or anything but if you want an energetic rock show, they’re definitely worth a quick pop in. I rate them as a little WEAK. 12:45 on the BMI Stage.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L56gknRXysE

Now you’ll just have to trust me when I say that this next group’s music sounds a lot better than my description of if does. Lewis Del Mar is made up of two kids from Queens who with their acoustic guitar and crazy drum beats sound like Mumford and Sons if they had soul and actually had souls. It’s indie rock that has folk and a few hip hop elements thrown in and I have to say that I actually like it. I rate them as kind of FRESH. 1:30 on the Zilker stage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PagwbIPbEVw

Next up is Jack Garratt, a British singer-songwriter who was the darling of this past year’s SXSW. He’s an electronic artist who will have you dancing with random strangers as he happens to be a healthy mix of Sohn and Miike Snow, assuming you know who either of those two artists are. Hopefully he brings more of an actual show with him this time but even if he doesn’t, be prepared to have your mind blown by this unassuming Limey. I rate him as FRESH. 3:30 Zilker Stage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFP3qh1x1Zo

And the last new act to check out is Bomba Estereo. Just imagine if Pitbull didn’t suck, this is what his music would sound like. They produce thumping dance music with a genuine Latin feel but I must warn you that one of the first songs of theirs that’s sure to pull up is the international hit they made with Will Smith, just ignore that little fact and check them out anyway. "Viva la Miami". 6:30 Tito’s Handmade Vodka Stage.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-_9Bld7JYc

No comments:

Post a Comment