Thursday, July 14, 2016

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates

After a weekend of partying that included me being called a narc and nearly killing myself on my bike after riding and texting while trying to find a late night party that had Jell-O shots, I felt the need to find two losers who were far worse than me when it came to actually growing up. As one of my ex-girlfriends told me this past weekend after I was shocked to find out that there was more to dating than just going to shows and having sex afterwards "Oh Kelly, you’re forever going to be stuck in your 20’s."

Is that true? Is it really that bad that I somehow found myself in a bar where people were openly doing green and white drugs on the patio while discussing their latest findings on Pokémon Go? And should I have been worried when one of them noticed that I choose neither the green nor the white substance to partake in and they proceeded to call me Five-O like the beginning of that Dr. Dre/Snoop Dogg song Deep Cover? Perhaps it is time for me to put out my own Craigslist ad so that I can find me a nice girl to take me out of the streets.

Well this is exactly what transpires in Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates. In their minds Mike (Workaholics’ Adam Devine) and Dave (Zac Efron) are the life of every party they attend as they’ve effectively created a world where every girl they meet immediately loves them and the party is instantly turned up a notch the second they arrive. But thanks to an intervention that’s setup by their parents, they soon come to the sad realization that every family celebration or gathering is ruined in spectacular fashion by their goofy antics; some of which include their accidental head butting of bridesmaids while jumping on trampolines or setting an entire beach on fire with their own homemade fireworks display.

The reason why they have set up this intervention is so these two clowns won’t do what they normally do and ruin their baby sister Jeanie’s upcoming wedding. So their father has come up with a find two nice wedding dates or else you can’t go ultimatum with the hopes that it will finally help them grow up and move on to the next phase of their lives.

Mike and Dave reluctantly agree and decide to put out an ad on Craigslist for an all-inclusive trip to a destination wedding in Hawaii. Well as you can imagine, the ad goes viral and the amount of weirdos they encounter is overwhelming. Alice (Anna Kendrick) and Tatiana (Aubrey Plaza) hear about their ad via the Wendy Williams show and come up with a clever way to grab their attention without seeming too desperate. The plan works and they fool Mike and Dave into believing that they are the "girls next door" that they have been looking for, when in reality they are the female equivalent of their counterparts.

Mike and Dave Needs Our Hard Earned Money doesn’t really take off until the four of them reach Hawaii. Up until to that point, it’s a bunch of yelling and rehashed party jokes. But once they reach the islands, their characters start to develop a bit and you get to see the comedic talents come out of each of the actors, especially that of Devine and Plaza. Neither of them really stray from what you’ve seen them do in their previous efforts but what they’re known for is a perfect fit for the clueless and self-absorbed leeches they’ve been cast to portray in this film. The chemistry these two have feels as though they’ve been working together for years as they have quite a few memorable moments together, one of which leads to a Dangerous Minds and Coolio reference for you old folks out there.

But the films longest and funniest joke belongs to a massage therapy session between Jeanie and the ever present Kumail Nanjiani (Silicon Valley). I won’t ruin it for you but this scene had literally had me laughing for five minutes straight. Efron and Kendrick certainly have their moments too but they are the couple that’s closest to being normal in this picture so they were toned down a bit for the most part.

This film is far from being perfect and there are quite a few jokes that miss, especially early on, but for the most part I found myself entertained. With everything that’s out right now, I’d probably wait until it hits Netflix but it’s certainly worth a watch. I give it a rating of barely FRESH!

No comments:

Post a Comment