Wednesday, April 27, 2016

The Invitation

I recently dated a girl who was crazy. Now I realize that every guy or girl says that about their ex whenever the relationship doesn’t work out but in this case it’s actually not hyperbole. She was in fact clinically diagnosed as crazy! I had known her for a while and sure, she was always a bit of an oddball who had this crazy look in her eye from time to time; but I’m an oddball too, so I just figured that this was yet another thing that we could say we had in common as we started our adventure together. Well as it turns out I was wrong, almost dead wrong (I know, I know. I couldn’t help myself)!

I didn’t find out about this illness until a few weeks in after she kept saying these off the wall things and started freaking out over me not putting ketchup on my hot dog. Now again, I had known her for years before this but I guess having sex truly brought out the crazy in her! Things got so bad in fact that I honestly started to fear for my life. I broke things off as quickly as I could as I figured it was just a matter of time before she started cutting herself in front of me or decided to poison one of my drinks simply because it was the new moon. I had no desire to be the first black man involved in a murder/suicide. People are still upset over the whole OJ thing; they would’ve blamed it all on me, resuscitated me, and then killed me all over again just for sort of looking like him!

Anyway, when I saw the trailer for The Invitation, alarm bells started going off in my head again! I was yelling "Get out! Get out!" the entire time as the set up for the movie looked all too familiar to me! In it, Will (Logan Marshall-Green) and his girlfriend Kira get invited to this dinner party in the hills of Los Angeles. His ex-wife Eden and her current husband David (Game of Thrones’ Michiel Huisman) are the hosts and they’ve apparently decided to invite all of the old crew together again for a reunion of sorts. No one has seen or heard from Eden for nearly two years after some tragic event occurred while she was still married to Will but one day out of the blue she just randomly resurfaces and has a new lease on life.

Will is obviously skeptical seeing as how he is still struggling with their loss and can’t understand how she apparently is able to let go of her grief after nearly killing herself just a few years prior to this night. He however seems to be the only one concerned as everyone else has made a conscious decision to overlook the creepiness of her clownish smile and her overall nonsensical joy. They’ve also decided to overlook the fact that her and her husband have joined this new grief counseling group called The Invitation, two of whose members just so happen to be at this party. They too seem to be a bit off but again, not too off considering the fact that they are also getting over something tragic as well. Everyone at the party just writes it off as it simply being LA and that this is typical for this part of the world. They just want their friends back.

Well in spite of all the evidence that points to the contrary, you never think that Will is simply being paranoid. There’s always a weird private conversation that takes place in a corner or an odd glance from one of the guests that keeps you on your toes. But as the movie goes on, you realize that in spite of the quirky behavior of the hosts, this really does just have the feel of being another weird dinner party with nothing sinister on the menu (again I couldn’t help myself).

Is Will just being paranoid? Are the writers of this film simply playing with your emotions and your overall sense of distrust? Or are we so overly concerned with being polite and not offending anyone that we’ll do so even if it means putting our own lives in danger. This is a mind twisting psychological thriller that has a jaw dropping ending! And after seeing this film I will never date anyone that looks like the crazy version of Liv Tyler again! Ok maybe I would!

This is the most uncomfortable I’ve been in the theater in a while and it’s because of that, that I give The Invitation a rating of TIGHT!

No comments:

Post a Comment