Thursday, February 18, 2016

How to Be Single

The search for and the actual attainment of a stable relationship is something that ranks pretty high on most people's list of priorities these days. Desperate singles everywhere are exhausting every possible option as they embark on their journey to fulfillment. And it's this very desperation that explains why there are a countless number of books, magazines, movies, and even apps that are all dedicated to this particular subject.

I thankfully happen to live in a city where there is so much to do and so many beautiful people to do it with that being in a stable and loving relationship is something that is almost frowned upon. The general consensus in this city is why on Earth would you ever want to limit your options? Do I live in Thailand you ask? Well outside of the fact that we don't have an abundance of chicks with dongs, the answer is not quite, but Austin sure seems to be headed that way as the idea of having a wifey is something that is basically an antiquated concept at this point!

And it's because of this view that I now have zero issues going to see a movie by myself as that act today is now considered to be as normal as seeing a couple on their way out to dinner is. The only time I do have an issue with this is when I see movies like 50 Shades of Grey or How to Be Single. Trying to play the "Oh, I'm only here so I can review it" card just doesn't seem to fly anymore as I constantly see the ticket girl and the manly man behind me snicker the very second I ask for my ticket. But in the end, I do all of this for you, so I hope like hell you appreciate it!

How to Be Single had the usual look and feel of the typical holiday money grab movie Hollywood normally spits out around this time. You're familiar with this formula by now: just throw together a ton of likeable stars, add in a subject matter that will make every girl out there force their significant others into seeing it with them, and finally type up a garbage script in the 30 minutes you have left before actual filming starts and voila; you have a hit.

Well thankfully Single doesn't quite fit this mold. It does have some of Hollywood's youngest and brightest in Alison Brie, Dakota Johnson, Rebel Wilson, and Anders Holm in it but it seemed as if they actually spent a whole 60 minutes on the script before the stars finally arrived on set for a table read. It does however try to glorify the life of a single person by suggesting that if you wanted to, you could get laid every night you go out when in reality it's more like 20-30% of the time. But hey, I have no problem with seeing cute girls hook up in Manhattan, so you won't find me complaining here.

And there are of course the usual forced storylines (random breakups for illogical reasons), unrealistic scenarios (the cute young bachelor who for inexplicable reasons falls for the old pregnant and socially awkward doctor), and the predictable endings (close friends who will eventually fall for one another). But I'm happy to say that the movie actually surprises you and bucks the trend of one of these lame clichés.

Most of the dialogue is useless trite but thankfully every time you start to get bogged down in that nonsense Wilson comes on screen and does or says something hilarious that has you laughing way louder than you probably should in public. In the end, if romantic comedies aren't your thing, you'll at least have some beautiful people to look at (dammit! I fell for it too!) but Single does, on a small level, actually add something to this horribly stale genre.

I rate this movie as kind of WEAK but suggest that you check it out on a lazy Saturday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment