Friday, February 12, 2016

Deadpool

When a buddy of mine in Colorado, a buddy I've never actually met by the way (and yes I'm well aware of the fact that this sounds like a dangerous catfish situation), sent me the Red Band trailer for Deadpool a few months ago; I immediately wrote it off as trash. It had Ryan Reynolds, outdated hip hop, and corny jokes in it; all of which are a sure fire recipe for disaster. I mean just look at what Reynolds and bad music did to Blade III and The Green Lantern; they essentially ended both franchises!

But I decided to ignore this damning evidence and give it a shot anyway because absolutely everyone I know was excited over the fact that this cult superhero was finally getting his own movie. In the comics he's always been a wiseass antihero who was known for his over the top violence and his ability to break the 4th wall (and if you don't know what that is I suggest you look it up so you can cheer when the other nerds do); so it at least had that going for it. Plus the studios actually had the balls to give a Marvel movie an R rating, and that's something that has to be supported otherwise we'll be stuck watching G rated horror films for the rest of our lives.

Well if you're lucky enough to have a cool girlfriend who's actually down to see a comic book movie over Valentine's Day weekend, be sure you set the proper expectations so you're not stuck on the couch masturbating with Hunter the family dog this Saturday night. Let her know that she'll at least get to see a shirtless Reynolds multiple times throughout the movie while you get to enjoy his crass and offensive jokes; most of which actually hit for a change. And that in what has become the latest trend in Marvel flicks, the best comic book movies are the ones that don't take themselves too seriously, see Antman and Guardians. So she can't help but see it with you because Deadpool falls squarely into the latter category.

Well if you're somehow able to convince her of all of this, here's what the both of you can expect when you walk into the theater. In this origin movie, you get a taste of what to expect for the next 108 minutes as you immediately see the film's humor in the opening credits. I won't ruin anything for you but just know that they touch on and make fun of every cliché that has for whatever reason become widely accepted by us, the mindless sheep. And early on you also learn how self aware Deadpool is as he makes a reference to the confusing timelines the X-Men movies have thrust upon us for the past decade, mostly in part to help make up for what Brett Ratner did in X-Men 3. So right away, this movie was able to win me over.

But what almost cemented this film as the best Marvel movie ever was the presence of Morena Baccarin (Homeland). It's amazing to me that after repeatedly being tainted by the wooden (no pun intended) Damian Lewis she's able to remain among Hollywood's hottest actresses. This is something that made me identify more with Deadpool's character as I would do absolutely anything to get her back in my life, and that includes rooming with an old blind Black woman who loves cocaine. Seriously, that's nothing compared to the crap I put myself through on a daily basis to try and get with the local Gina Rodriguez (Jane the Virgin).

I must also give props to the studio for finally casting a cool villain. Ed Skrein was more than serviceable as the evil Ajax with his British accent and his steely eyed glares. I actually found myself rooting for him for most of the movie after he brought the freshness in Transporter: Refueled, another franchise that I thought was killed by horrible music and gay overtones. The action for the most part is on point but you miss so much in the film's opening sequence (because so much is going on) that you'll have to see it a second time to truly appreciate it.

Negasonic Teenage Warhead and Colossus repeatedly show up to join in on the fun and provide us with some cool mutant powers to wonder at while Gina Carano and her double d's are always a welcomed sight in my life. So based upon this I give this movie a rating of FRESH and suggest you pop in!

No comments:

Post a Comment