Sunday, January 31, 2016

Car Seat Headrest, Moses Sumney, and Strange Wilds : Mini SXSW Preview

As I find myself trying harder and harder to remain relevant among people who aren’t already preparing their retirement packages, it’s becoming clearer to me that I only have a few years left in my deceptive youth before teenagers start asking me how old my grandchildren are. Just the other day I tried to introduce the movie Troy to a classroom full of kids by telling them that the girls should at least like it because Brad Pitt was in it, and the response I got was "Who’s Brad Pitt?"

Seriously?!?! How do kids not know who Brad Pitt is? Have they become so saturated by the rash of awful Young Adult movies that the only heroes they know either listen to One Direction or snort cocaine with Taylor Swift on the weekends? Well I feel as though it’s my calling to introduce to these lost children some kids who at least have some semblance of talent, with the hopes that this will one day inspire them to do grow out of their sense of entitlement stage and lead them to develop something truly groundbreaking. Who know, they could come up with something like a time machine that will allow me to go back in time to the 80’s so I can bang a young and pre hippie Lisa Bonet.

So with that in mind, here’s a look at a few new artists to check out. First up is Car Seat Headrest. I first heard about this kid six months ago and I really liked his stuff, but I decided to wait on giving my take on him just so I could make sure I didn’t fall for any fool’s gold. Well after taking some time to digest what I heard, I have to say that my take remains the same. This 22 year old from Virginia could be the next big thing in music. He makes hippie garage rock music, which is normally a bad thing, but in this case actually isn’t. This is Lo-fi rock with some truly introspective lyrics. Thankfully not all of his songs are 14 minutes long but even those that are take you on a wild ride that you’ll never forget (and yes I’m fully aware of how cheesy that sounded). This kid was just confirmed for this year’s SXSW, so pop in on him while you can. I rate him as FRESH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvZM33nevfU&list=PL7QnZeqb0x2BFuuGty8UDHkXTI8_E6Xz6

Next up is Moses Sumney; he’s a 25 year old who utilizes an acoustic guitar and a loop pedal to bring out his 60’s soul singer stuck in the hipster era sound. It’s a good thing for him though that he is around during this era because his dark, gothic style would have never flown back in the day unless he had Joni Mitchell performing his songs for him. This is space acoustic rock that hints of old school David Bowie in it. I rate him as FRESH!
https://soundcloud.com/mosessumney

Last band for the day is Strange Wilds and simply put, this is post grunge punk music with ripping guitars and screeching vocals; stuff that’s right up my alley. I like them but I know that with their sound they’re only going to reach a limited audience, so I have to give them a rating of barely WEAK.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYpRXK_sHN8

1 comment: