Thursday, December 31, 2015

The Big Short

I know it appears as though I am always looking for any excuse to write about or simply even mention Coming to America in almost every one of my reviews, and to be quite honest with you, that’s about as accurate of a statement that anyone could make about me at this point in my life. But I do have to admit that while the whole "Who was that?" "Oh just a man I met in the bathroom" exchange was unbelievably funny in that movie, the prospects of that actually happening in real life just seemed way too farfetched to me. That was until I saw the film The Big Short last night.

After walking out of the theater, some guy followed me into the restroom and immediately broke out into a full on conversation with me, even while I was in the midst of peeing. And as any guy reading this knows, that kind of behavior goes against every form of male bathroom etiquette that’s out there. The last thing a straight guy wants to hear while holding his schlong is another dude’s voice; it simply takes away every conceivable performance of that member at that point.

And even though I continued only giving this guy one and two word responses to his questions, he followed me out to my car and proceeded to ask me out to dinner anyway. I politely told him that while I was flattered, I am straight, and that going out with another guy probably wasn’t in my best interest.

But in hindsight, I am unbelievably broke right now and am always in need of some free tacos! Maybe I should have taken dude up on his offer but then (and I’m basing this solely off of how I treat women on a first date btw) I would’ve had to deal with the awkward hug and kiss on the cheek that’s just close enough to the mouth, just in case their down with an actual kiss, that comes at the end of a date. And that of course is always accompanied with at least a three quarter to full on chub to boot; all way too much for me to handle, no pun intended.

So anyway, before I had my Prince Akeem moment, I actually had actually just seen a fairly decent movie that somehow stared Steve Carrell (as impossible as that may seem). The Big Short, which I assume you know at this point, is an in depth look into the events that led to the big housing crash of 2008. That was the year that 8 million people lost their jobs and nearly 6 million also lost their homes in the U.S. alone. It was a tough time for not only this country but the entire world, as the global economy was affected by this mess.

Well Short goes into rather granular detail about the level of greed and fraud that was rampant in the banking structure at the time; and they thankfully do so while breaking it down into idiot terms for us simple folk out here. From time to time, director and screenwriter Adam McKay (Step Brothers) will stop and have celebrities like Margot Robbie or Selena Gomez explain what some of these big words mean in layman’s terms for the average movie goer. And he’s careful to do so while never insulting the intelligence of the audience while also not giving them too much credit either. The movie does get a bit wordy at time and it is full of banking jargon. But if you have seen the slightly less entertaining but more insightful documentary on this called the Inside Job, then what is actually happening on screen won’t be so foreign to you.

McKay puts his focus on a group of radical men who all actually took a look into the ridiculous loans banks were giving out to families and decided to bet against them. Everyone, including the banks, thought they were crazy as the housing market had never crashed before, but little did they know what was to come.

I liked this movie as it never got too preachy but rather chose to put its focus squarely on the facts that surrounded the big crash. They tried their best to make what is an otherwise an unbelievably boring subject fairly entertaining; and I have to say that for the most part they succeeded. Christian Bale always rocking out to metal, Ryan Gosling being a certified jackass, and Steve Carrell playing the role of an angry troll with a bad hair dye job made for some pretty funny moments. I just wish they had the balls to have Rob Gronkowski or Method Man and Redman break down some of the financial jargon for us.

I rate this important film as pretty FRESH and I suggest you check it out.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment