Friday, November 13, 2015

Room

I've always loved the seemingly affable Brie Larson. Ever since I saw her play the snooty band leader Envy Adams in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World I was instantly hooked as she absolutely nailed the full of themselves hipster vibe with almost zero amount of effort on her part. It didn't matter to me that she suffered from the LeBron James syndrome; looking like you're already in your late 30's at the tender age of 21. There was just something about her resting bitch face that made me think she was going to be a star if she simply got the right break.

And this is the only reason why I went to see the movie Room. I hadn't really heard too much about this movie going into it and it was unfortunately labelled a drama, so it already had two strikes going against it. But I did notice that the majority of critics out there seemed to love it and it honestly came down between me seeing this or some lame holiday movie, so I decided to pop in and check out a film that seemingly described my life 5 days out of the week.

Room is a moving story about Ma (Larson) and her little boy Jack. They spend every day of their lives stuck in this small room that acts as their bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, and backyard all in one. This is the only world Jack has ever known as he has never been outside or seen anything of the outside world. Anything outside of the room is considered outer space to him and he has been taught to think that anything he sees on television is not real.

The two of them seem to have come to grips with the fact that this is their world and even though they experience the highs and lows that naturally come with being stuck in such a confined space, they obviously love one another. Now the reason why they cannot leave this place is not immediately known but based upon their interactions with one another and the fact that Ma hides him from their one connection to the outside world, Old Nick, you start to make some assumptions.

The most thrilling part of the movie however is when Ma decides that it's time for the two of them to break free of their small prison. Her plan is a shaky one at best but you can't help but find yourself gasping for air while literally holding the edge of your seat once it's actually underway. I was so happy that I saw this film by myself because if a girl was with me, she would've immediately given me this disgusted look and I would've had zero chance of getting laid later on that night.

But anyway, once the second act of the movie starts, you get to witness little Jack's discovery of the outside world. Things that we take for granted everyday is a whole new and wonderful experience for the once sheltered toddler, but adjusting to the normal world comes with its own set of challenges. How will Jack adjust to his new surroundings and were things actually better off for him in the room?

I can honestly say that I'm rarely this moved by a film anymore but you really have to be the most jaded and pathetic person alive if you are not touched in some way by this film. Larson better start getting fitted for her Oscar dresses because award nominations are definitely coming her way.

I rate this movie as very FRESH!

No comments:

Post a Comment