Monday, June 1, 2015

Lil Debbie and Elliot Moss

A friend of mine hit me up late Friday night to see if I had ever heard of the rapper Lil Debbie before, and in most cases I’d typically just say no, blow off their suggestion as something wack, and continue on with my night. But this particular friend is a fellow music nerd like me and I actually respect her opinion on bands as she has good taste in music and we’ve seen a number of shows together; so I decided to give this new artist a shot even though my mind was more focused on food than it was on booty shaking music.

The first song I heard of Debbie’s was Wiggle, a banger which happens to sample the legendary Too Short, and any rapper that has love for the Short Dawg instantly has my attention. As I was listening to her music I noticed that she had a nice flow and some pretty brash lyrics for an upstart female rapper, and just hearing her talk about making it clap took me back to the days of Lil Kim; a woman who I am sure she thinks is her spirit animal. If you google her name, the first songs that pull up are Bitches and Work the Middle, so that gives you a pretty good idea of what you’re in for when you listen to her music. I found myself digging it at first but the second I saw that she was white, I instantly wrote her off as a wack Iggy Azalea (who is wack herself) and I was ready to relentlessly make fun of my friend.

I decided however to hold off on the ridicule and to go check her out anyway because it was a cheap show, my friend is hot, and I haven’t seen a stripper on stage for quite a while. And as it turned out, I am so happy that I wound up going to see this modern day spectacle because this show brought out all of the freaks; I saw the poor version of the Bleachers’ Jack Antonoff there, I saw what an old Clark Kent would look like if he was an actual real person, and I also saw that every dirty stripper from the grimy Landing Strip decided to take the night off so that they could go and see their version of Michelle Obama.

Debbie brings a ton of energy to the stage and she has diehard fans who feed off her every move. So if you get the chance to see her live, do so as I promise you you’ll spend the rest of the night singing about Ratchet Bitches and Slot Machines. She gets a rating of barely FRESH.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOTpymGSbOs

Next up is Elliot Moss. I missed him when he came to SXSW this year but ever since he stepped on stage and wowed a few audiences there, I’ve heard nothing but good things about him, so I decided to check him out. I was hoping that he would bring something new to a genre that is quickly becoming stale and uninspired as more and more artists are simply doing their best Roger Troutman impersonation as opposed to actually coming up with something fresh and exciting. Moss is part of the electronic RnB movement that James Blake made popular when he released his brilliant Wilhelms Scream. At first I was a bit disappointed when I heard his most popular song Slip because it’s the kind of song that lulls you into a sleep that you’re afraid you’ll never wake up from. But thankfully by the time you get to Best Light and I Can’t Swim you start to nod your head a little more and you once again have hope for the future of this 21 year old kid. It’s not the most innovative stuff out there but it is promising, so I give it a rating of FRESH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrEZV6mhdDs
 

No comments:

Post a Comment