Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Brayton Bowman and Uniform

While I thoroughly enjoyed myself at the Prince dance party the other night, the fact that I saw old women wearing Go Go Girl outfits with diamond studded heels made me realize that it was high time for me to find some new artists to listen to. This way I could at least go to shows that have young girls wearing high waisted jeans which show off their wonderful FUPA’s and possibly even get a chance to make out with the next Zooey Deschanel. I mean her time as the hipster it girl has finally faded, so I should have a realistic chance at her by now, right? Oh well, with that in mind, here’s a look at a few new artists for you to listen to.

Brayton Bowman is a singer-songwriter from Philadelphia who seems to be following the Sam Smith formula, which is to try and be successful with one genre, only to get your heart broken by a dude, and then decide to switch it up to RnB because you once heard an Al Green song that touched your heart. And who can blame the man, How Do You Mend a Broken Heart has led many men to the beds of prostitutes and Hooters girls for years in the hopes that they will find comfort there. The difference between him and Smith is that he at least is bi as he apparently has a thing for Black girls too, something he made evident in the song Ride or Die. Typical. I guess he finally ended the decade long argument of if you should go for a Ride or Die Chick (The Lox) or a Hot Girl (Cash Money Millionaires) as Ride or Die chicks can apparently turn gay men straight.

His music reminds you of the days when RnB artists shamelessly talked about getting drunk on Crown Royal and booty calling their girls to come over; it’s just that instead of liquor he prefers blunts, see the song Jaywalk which contains the lyrics "it took 6 months of blunts to get the taste of you out of my mouth". One can only hope that this song was about a girl. His songs are for the most part all up tempo and will certainly have you dancing. Some of his highlights are Skin Deep and his wonderful cover of Britney Spears’ Hit Me Baby One More Time. Until today I had never actually heard that song in its entirety, I had only seen the video about a million times with the sound off but this song with its electronic feel has me seeing it in a whole new light. Right now I rate him as FRESH and suggest you check his music out.
https://soundcloud.com/brayton

Next up is punk rockers turned industrial artists Uniform. The band is made up of former members of The Men and Drunkdriver and the opening track of their new album Perfect World lets you know that it wasn’t a hard transition for them at all. It sounds like Trent Reznor B sides but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. There’s not much movement in their songs but you’ll find yourself rocking out to the same crashing chord over and over again and it’s because of this that I find myself liking the potential of this band. It’s a bit too early for me to get a good feel for them but as of now I give them a rating of FRESH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7QmkvoweCk


 

No comments:

Post a Comment