Monday, March 30, 2015

New Artists: Sluteverbff and Hurray for the Riff Raff

People in Austin are seemingly having a hard time letting go of SXSW; I saw a homeless guy wearing old wristbands to the Spotify House and to Hype Hotel the other day. Maybe he was hoping someone would throw him an old Taco Bell taco? Or maybe he was hoping some drunk college girl would mistake his stench and his old ratty clothes for a hipster and take him home so he could experience air conditioning for the first time in a year. Either way, I was riding my bike around town on Sunday and every drinking hole was packed to the gills. I can’t really blame them though, this is an awesome town year round and it just so happens that great artists come here all of the time. Now with that said, here’s a look at two new groups you should check out.

First up is Sluteverbff, two West Coast girls who make frenetic punk music. Their name alone makes you want to slam an 18 pack of Beast Lite and motorboat them until the cows come home; and oddly enough that also works as a good description of their music. I like their sound a thousand times more than that of a similar band who’s getting a lot of love right now, Girlpool. Their song I Miss America is a nice ode to the grunge era and two other highlights you should check out are Smother and Teen Mom. I rate them as kind of FRESH!

Next up is Hurray for the Riff Raff; their sound is similar to something you would hear at a dance in Nixon, Texas. I would normally run away from this kind of music but there’s something about her yodeling on Look Out Mama that draws me in; maybe I have a secret desire to hook up in a barn or something. That I’m not sure of but what I do know is that this 17 year old runaway from the Bronx seems like she was born with a banjo in her hand. Solely based off the fact that I hate this style of music, they get a rating of kind of WEAK but you should definitely give it a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment