Saturday, October 4, 2014

Gone Girl

In college I used to do dumb things like change my caller id name to Wu Tang Clan member aliases so that my name would show up as Johnny Blaze or Russell Jones on my friend's phones. And I used to think that I was being clever by giving the AT&T operator the last name first and saying it in a proper voice so that they wouldn't catch on to what I was doing and deny me the name change. But one day I decided that Wu Tang wasn't enough for me so I got greedy and moved on to Reggie Noble (Redman) and B.Smalls (Biggie) for extra freshness. Sadly however the operator finally realized what was going on when I tried to change my name to "last name Shakur, first name Tupac"; he sort of chuckled and told me to never call in again. The point of this is, is that after last night I realized I am nowhere near as clever and deceitful as the characters in Gone Girl are but I guess after reading that story you could figure that out for yourself.

David Fincher's (Se7en, Fight Club) films are worth seeing in the theater simply because of what he can bring to the screen visually. His expert utilization of editing, lighting, and colors can turn a 4 hour film that's full of nothing but pseudo intellectual dialogue into one of the best films of the year (see The Social Network); and I have to say that his skills are on full display in this dark and methodical thriller. His teaming up with Atticus Ross and Trent Reznor once again brings magic to the screen as simple scenes are elevated to another level with their beautiful and creepy score.

What's elevated you ask? Well on the day of their anniversary Nick's (Affleck) wife Amy (Rosamund Pike) turns up missing. Nick immediately calls the cops to come investigate but something seems a bit off as it appears that Nick could honestly care less about it. And all throughout the town's searches for her, he almost seems more relieved about the fact that she's gone than he is concerned about her whereabouts. Well it's not long before evidence starts to build up against him in connection with her disappearance and soon no one in the nation or even his own town believes that he is innocent. So the race is on to find her before the cops have enough evidence to arrest him and give him the death penalty! And it certainly doesn't help matters that Amy has a diary that documents every second of their relationship and her growing concern for her safety.

Speaking of Amy, they really should just give Pike the Oscar for Best Actress today as she absolutely destroys this role. The mix of sexiness and desperation she brings makes Amy one of the most memorable characters I have seen in years; and it didn't take her uncrossing her legs with no panties underneath to do it! Well not quite.

Fincher is able to bring Gillian Flynn's (author, screenwriter) words to life and in doing so he creates one of the best thrillers of the decade! I rate this film as TIGHT as it is easily in the top 3 of 2014 to this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment