Friday, March 7, 2014

SXSW Preview 6000 : Eagulls and Denzel Curry

Simply so I can shed the stupid hipster or blipster (black hipster) label I have been given lately, today I will revisit two artists that I have previewed on this site before; further proving that I don't toss away bands the second they get discovered. Why am I concerned about this? I was reminded of the time I decided to go out with this girl from Kentucky who wears cowgirl boots, only hangs out in trendy dive bars, and listens to indie rockabilly bands. Apparently as we were talking about our love for music, I unintentionally hated on every band's second album that was mentioned. "Oh, I was into them when they dropped their first album but they lost me on their follow up." Looking back I can see how that would be annoying but whatever, every band we brought up was a hipster indie band and their albums did suck. This of course excludes the band Tennis because everything they release sucks!

But anyway, after a while she looked at me in disgust and proceeded to call me a hipster. Keep in mind that we were sitting in one of her trendy dive bars that she rode her bicycle to and she called me this while she was drinking her tall boy of Lone Star beer. I guess she felt offended by the fact that she felt out hipstered? Sorry girl, step up your game, step up your game!

On to the artists. First up is a band that continues the stupid tradition of purposely misspelling words or simply replacing a letter with a number in their name. You've seen these clowns; bands like Haerts or Shjps. Well these guys take it to the next level with the name Eagulls; not only misspelling a name but also ripping the name of a more famous band. It's so ridiculous it's almost genius. But after I stopped hating on their name, I actually listened to the music and I have to say I'm a fan. They hail from Leeds, England and for some reason they seem hell bent on not having one particular style. In one song they can go from sounding like Sonic Youth to reminding you of Black Flag. Now I don't think they are as good as either of the aforementioned bands but the fact that they remind me of them is a good sign and makes them worth a listen. I'm still reluctant to rate this underground 80's esque band until I see them live but for now I will give them a rating of barely WEAK.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lknTsxN79XM

Next up is Denzel Curry and hopefully he can bring some level of respectability to back to hip hop with his Nostalgia 64 album.  Right now I believe he is simply riding the high that came from Trayvon Martin’s death since he is from the same high school and had a song about the walkout they had in protest of his murder. But don’t let that deter you from checking him out as he definitely has skills. He raps above his age which is key since he hasn’t even graduated from high school yet. Now if he were a scrub like me, he’d be rapping about parties and how he wishes he was a baller but he doesn’t ; he raps about life's forks in the road and how he has the seen the negative consequences of making the wrong choices. He has a good flow and speaks the language that you would expect to hear from someone in the country ghetto that is Florida. And he does all of  this over dark gully beats that definitely represent the south. Check him out as I give him a rating of FRESH.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L8BJVCMUDI

No comments:

Post a Comment