Thursday, June 13, 2013

Pharmakon and MMoths

Being from a small town, it didn’t take much to scare me in my younger years. I’m from a coastal town in Texas that for a brief period banned MTV. Today, I would be jumping for joy if they banned that awful network, but back then they actually showed music videos and had cool shows like 120 Minutes which was hosted by Uncle Fester. So unfortunately, unless it was Bobby Brown Humpin Around or Ice Cube Jackin for Beats on BET, I missed out on any other genres of music. I guess it was ok for the urban kids to learn how to have unprotected sex from Bobby or have Ice Cube teach us about jackin but please please don’t let the white kids get exposure to Courtney Love. And honestly, I wouldn’t want my kid seeing that train wreck either.

The point of all of this is, there was a time when music used to scare the hell out of me; and dammit I miss it! I remember the day when my buddy sneaked Nirvana’s In Utero into my household like a plantation owner’s kid sneaking a book in to a slave. Due to the MTV ban, this was the first time I was ever exposed to Kurt Cobain and all of his weirdness. I heard Scentless Apprentice with Kurt yelling “Like most babies smell like butter He had a smell like no other’ followed by him screaming over these screeching guitars and I nearly threw the cd out of the window. Especially since the liner notes had some guy dressed in women’s undergarments. It was the perfect combination of everything that I was taught was evil and weird in this world! And from that point on, I was hooked (not that I’m evil or weird).  

These days it’s hard to find artists that are truly messed up in the head. Sometimes you get close with the likes of Kanye West or Jack White but for the most part its all an act. Well in this case I might have actually found a girl from New York who just might fit the bill; you cant make the music she makes and not have had one too many acid trips in your life. The person I am talking about goes by the name Pharmakon (Margaret Chardiet) and her music sounds like something Trent Reznor or Marilyn Manson would make…but  evil! She screams indiscernible lyrics over slow driving beats and screeching sounds that are mixed in with industrial music. It’s really tough to listen to for an extended period of time which would explain why she can’t make an album that she likes. She’ll record one and then instantly scratch it. But I think with the right producer to reign her in a bit, her music could be something special. She’s quite technical in her music making process and that comes across in her live shows as each song builds to these chilling and hair raising climaxes with her dancing around and screaming at the top of her lungs. I rate her as slightly WEAK for now but I like her potential. Sneak razorblades in your hair and wear steel toed boots to the show just in case you decide to pop in. Trust me when I say this music isn’t for everyone and quite honestly it’s really only something you go see for the pure spectacle of it.


So to balance this post out a bit, I thought I’d point you in the direction of MMoths. He’s an Irish electronic DJ/producer who makes atmospheric music you can chill out and bob your head to. He has quite a few guest vocalists on his tracks for those who like vocals with their music, so you won’t quite need to break out your furry backpacks and glow sticks to it. Apparently his EP is based off of events that occurred on his tours with Aphex twin and At the Drive In. And if you have seen a single Aphex Twin video, then you know how disturbing some of their experiences can be. I rate him as FRESH.

No comments:

Post a Comment