Wednesday, February 27, 2013

SXSW Punk : Savages and Skaters

SXSW cant get here fast enough for me and my dire straits, and no I don't mean the band! I work in an environment where I am forced to hear the 40 year old version of a Wayne’s World debate on music. I swear Mickey Rourke from the Wrestler stood up at one point and said “There aren’t any real rock bands anymore! Steve Miller has to be one of the best rock bands ever! Is Jefferson Starship still around?” Yes, that’s right, Starship, not even the cool 60’s version in Airplane. What a dated and depressing discussion.  Why not top if off by breaking out an eight ball while blaring the 5”2” rock god Dio “When there’s lightening, you know it always brings me doooooown!”
Well luckily SXSW is bringing a few new acts that can hopefully get my older counterparts to get back into bands that have made music in the past 30 years. One of those bands would be Pitchfork darlings the Savages. They are a 4 piece goth rock band from London, England. These 4 lovely ladies get their style from Joan Jett and seem to be slightly inspired by The Horrors first album. They rock their short hair cuts and heels wearing nothing but black and white on stage while screaming out haunting vocals over driving beats and loud guitars. They make songs with a live show in mind first and then worry about how it will sound on record later. I am really excited to see them live myself as they have been tearing up venues overseas recently. I will give them a rating of FRESH and not simply because I want to bang them either.
Next up is Skaters. They are a punk band that formed in NYC after a year of sharing ideas from LA to London and apparently have contributing members from Boston and New York as well. They aren’t your typical punk band that picks one style of punk, sticks with it, and has every song sound the same. They seemingly take from every style and incorporate it in their songs. You have their pop punk song I Wanna Dance and then there’s the late 80’s Clash sounding Schemers. I’m excited to see these guys as they have a reputation of bringing a lot of energy to their shows. I’m reluctant to rate them before seeing them but I’ll rate them as slightly FRESH for now.
Next up are the Eagulls from Leeds, England. They are another punk band who seems intent on not having one particular style. In one song they can go from sounding like Sonic Youth to Black Flag in an instant. Now I don't think they are as good as either aforementioned bands but the mere fact that they remind me of them means they are worth a listen. They have opened for the likes of Ceremony and Fucked Up, so they have some stripes on the wall. I’m holding off my rating until I see them live but for now I’ll give them a kind of WEAK rating.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR0pMZ2Z2S0
\

No comments:

Post a Comment