Thursday, February 28, 2013

SXSW Dance : Robert Delong and K.I.D.S.

Im so bored! Well as bored as you can be in Austin until the biggest festival in the world gets here. I found myself laughing way to hard at my own jokes today which consisted of me daydreaming about one the recent Walking Dead episodes. They really should’ve had Rick making invisible love to Lori while wandering in the woods. But then something depressing set in, I saw an old guy at work rocking a brand new Antones t shirt the other day and these other middle aged people were giving him props “Just looking at this guy, you can tell he knows music”. Really??? Because he went and saw one the 1000 Bob Schneider shows at an overhyped venue here in Austin? It was at this moment that I realized that the only possible thing I could hope to achieve with this blog was that someone would recognize one of my terrible website t shirst and maybe say the same about me. Hey, we all have to have goals!
I’m going to go ahead and say that I’m more than likely not going to rate any of these bands because I’m not much of a pop fan these days. But every now and then I catch myself dancing to something fruity so  I owe it to myself to check out some danceable acts the week of SX. First up will be K.I.D.S.. Thankfully the band isn’t as scary as the movie, although making out with a young Rosario Dawson would have its perks. I honestly cant find much info on these guys but they are categorized as Experimental music which I don’t quite agree with. This is the type of music you expect to find playing in between sets of a Madonna or Hot Chip show. Or if you’re lucky at the after after party somewhere that has a smoke machine. They have a female lead and seem to be playing everywhere this SX, so do yourself a favor and check them out. I’ll go ahead and give this fruitiness a rating of FRESH!
Next up is MTV darling from Los Angeles Robert Delong. Typically when I see one man bands I run away screaming and holding my ears and in Delong’s case when I first heard him I did just that. But I decided to give him another shot and found myself tapping my feet and eventually doing a ghetto dip.  I still don’t think he’s great especially when he starts banging on his weak drums but I have to admit that he has some talent. His set up includes video game controllers, keyboards, beat machines, drums, guitars, and whatever else you can imagine. His sound is a nice mix off traditional dance, hip hop, and dub step. The only two songs I know of his are Global Concepts and Religious Views but you will get plenty off opportunities to see him as he will be hitting up the festival circuit big time this year. Only because of his weak drumming does he get a rating of kind of WEAK but I will definitely be at his show.
Next up is Viceroy who is already blowing up. I don't really get him but he’s done remixes for some of the top bands in the game today and seems to pop up at parties everywhere. This is the kind of music you expect to hear at warehouse dance parties and Barbarella late night. The reason I’m not quite feeling it is because it sounds like the music you’d hear attached to Britney Spears or Bruno Mars (sorry that’s the extent of my top 40 references). Basically music you should avoid. But his shows are supposed to be fun, so I might pop in to see whats up.
Alright, I’m off to go buy my Antones shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment