Friday, September 7, 2012

2 Chainz and The Soft Pack

As I am sure you have noticed, I haven't been writing about many bands lately. This is mainly due to the fact that I've been in the movie theater almost every day for the past 3 months and also because not that many new artists are really impressing me right now. Even my favorite band Muse is letting me down these days. Don't get me wrong I am still down but they have gone from sounding like Radiohead to Queen to some weird mix of Queen and Elton John to now the Spice Boys. I love how over the top they are and also respect the fact they they try and mix it up every album but it's just a matter of time before they start cross dressing and doing Culture Club covers. Which honestly sounds kind of fresh.

Another thing I need to remember is that just because I have known about an artist for a while doesn't necessarily mean that you have. So this leads me to 2 Chainz. I haven't written about this dude mainly because I always thought he was kind of wack. But today I was introduced to Lil Mouse. If you haven't heard of this little scrub, he's like an 8 year old from Chicago who talks about smoking fools and dissin bitches that call him on the regular. Really??? An 8 year old? As my friend pointed out, it's obvious that someone is writing his lyrics for him but does the city of Chicago need it's youth looking up to some scrub talking about shooting fools and dissin women? This is just further justification for my Halloween costume idea of going as a zombie rap artist with the theme of hip hop is dead. I plan on saying nothing but De La Soul is Dead rhymes all night.

The point is, after hearing this scrub and seeing that 2 Chainz is coming to town soon I decided to give him another try thinking that maybe he's not as bad as I thought. I will admit this, the beats are crunk! I do find myself bobbing my head to No Lie and I Luv Dem Strippers but you could insert anyone in those songs and they would do ok on the charts. He adds absolutely nothing to the experience but looking old and bringing weak, tired, and overused rhymes in the mix. I mean, a song here or there about strippers or hot girls is ok but after the 12th one it just gets kind of old. You have to have some substance to your rhymes or at least be lyrically witty. He is obviously lacking in both departments. "so when i had sex with her it was in a mercedes but if we have that baby ima have to name it mercedes" Wow! Took you all of 60 seconds to come up with that rhyme.  Also I am not a fan of artists that have to have guest appearances on every one of their songs! This shows that even you are aware of the fact that you can't carry a song by yourself. I rate 2 Chainz as kind of WEAK only because his beats are fresh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hxN7HXsSGk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQZMaG1eO74

Next up is The Soft Pack from San Diego. They are a low fi indie band with a lead singer who looks like he's someone's drunken father who just stumbled on stage and grabbed the mic. And I get that living in San Diego is expensive and they probably spend all of their money on surf boards but man these guys looked raggedy on stage. I felt like I should throw 5 bucks in the tip jar when they finished just so they could afford the ride back home. Notice how I said ride because there is NO way these guys have seen the inside of a plane. I really don't mean to bash the band because I actually like them. They have a nice mix of songs that can be political, self loathing, and even dreamy. They are a 4 piece that can really rock out at times and get the crowd jumping with songs like Answer to Yourself and Move Along. They even have song titles that sound kind of dirty like Pull Out and Flammable, if you're into that kind of stuff. Pack is touring again and should be here by the end of the month. It's a cheap ticket so I'd recommend checking them out. I rate them as kind of FRESH!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QCYOK8vAWE

No comments:

Post a Comment