Saturday, August 11, 2012

College/Protomen

If you're looking for something to do tonight there are a ton of shows per usual in Austin. The best will probably be at Red 7 which has College and the Protomen.It's only $13-$15.

College is a retro 80's synth band. If you saw the movie Drive with Ryan Gosling then you've heard them before because their music is the score for that flick. It's what makes that B movie an awesome B movie because it instantly sets the atmosphere and let's you know you're not in for a another run of the mill loner gangster/driver/hitman movie. They really should do the score for The Transporter 4 :The Search for Another Asian. Their music makes you feel like you're in an underground 80's dance club where far too many drugs have been consumed by the patrons and you instantly want to dance. Strictly for my love of the 80's they get a rating of kind of FRESH! It's not original music by any means but you need guilty pleasures from time to time. The song you'll recognize is A Real Hero, their collaboration with Electric Youth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaG2P_Lg0VU

 Protomen is opening for them. Not sure I'm too down with these guys but I have a few friends that love them and they have a cult following because they are video game freaks and they all stick together. I've seen footage of their shows and they look pretty hype actually. Can't beat dudes who perform in motorcycle helmets ala Daft Punk but sadly they are not Daft Punk. They make rock operas. Check them out for yourself. I rate them as kind of WEAK.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VspS8m2yatQ

Another show to check out is the Aesop Rock show. I'll be there because I thought I was seeing A$ap Rocky but whatever. Here is my short preview.
http://onlyfreshness.blogspot.com/2012/07/twin-shadowniki-and-dove.html

I'll probably try and pop into both shows. If you don't run into me, I'm sure photos of me will pop up somewhere where you cant really make out my face because of the glare coming off of my glasses and my shaved head. I look like a Tim Burton version of the headless horsemen. Maybe I shouldn't have gone with the cheap lenses...oh well.


1 comment:

  1. Correction. Protomen are NOT opening for College despite what I read earlier this week. Looks like they are playing inside and College is playing the outside stage

    ReplyDelete