Friday, July 6, 2012

White Dress

Here's a quick post on a good show that's on for tonight. Hotel Vegas, who used to have good local acts on the reg, is having their monthly Red River Noise showcase which will feature White Dress and Black Tabs.

If you've never heard of White Dress, they are a two piece band based out of Austin with Arum Rae as the lead. Some of you may have seen her when she opened for The Civil Wars on their tour or at one of her many solo shows she's played around town. I've seen douchey sites categorize them as Shoegaze, but I'm not sure that anyone really knows what that means, so I refrain from using that term. It's really a mix of sexy blues, country, and indie rock. Arum draws you in with her sweet sultriness and then blows you away as the songs climax with her powerful and commanding voice. Everything about her oozes sex during their performance and by the time she sings "I'm wanting someone here...somewhere here...I'm wearing red!!!" you're about ready to run up on stage and kidnap her! That is until her boyfriend on drums leaps over his kit and belts you with his snare drum. Please dont ask how I know this. But while they can rock your socks off with You Can't Tell and Wearing Red, they also have introspective numbers such as 5 Feet of Road. Just hope she plays Heaven tonight, a song about someone who is looking for what they need in everything but her. Beautiful yet sad song that makes you wonder what that clown was thinking about in the first place! Do yourself a favor and check them out tonight as they are very FRESH! If you're looking for me, I'll be the guy sitting in the rafters wearing a ski mask with a net just ready to pounce. I'm just kidding, please dont call the cops, plus its the east side. Do you know how many black people and Mexicans this describes? They'll just laugh at you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vQlBCP5AGU&feature=related

I dont know much about Black Tab except that they are a local garage/punk act. I heard one song(provided by DO512) and it sounded just ok but as I've discovered with most local acts, their recording equipment isnt the best, so they actually sound a thousand times better live than what they can throw up on youtube. I'm holding off judgement for now.

You can get in for $5 if you rsvp here, otherwise it's $7 at the door.
http://do512.com/event/2012/07/06/red-river-noise-presents-white-dress-black-tabs-western-ghost-house

No comments:

Post a Comment