Monday, May 7, 2012

Death of R & B

So strangely enough as I'm sitting at a bar trying to enjoy my Cinco de Mayo, the holiday where we non Mexicans are supposed to be annoying Mexican Americans by invading their bars (or as I call it, their vacation spots), a hispanic man took this opportunity to yell at me about the state of R & B today. Now to his credit, he actually knew his stuff.  But when I say yelling, he was literally two inches from my ear and screaming random things like "Fuck you Mary J Blige!" and "You cant love a woman until you love R & B". Well, he kept buying me tequila shots, so I sat through it. But it got me thinking; I have had sex to Depeche Mode and Radiohead but there is something a little bit different and yes, better when you're rocking Al Green or My Lovin is Digi instead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRp8Dz6uRV8
And it's no secret that R &  B is dead. The last great album was D'Angelo's Voodoo. It seems like people are more concerned with making the quick buck by making a club banger that you can booty shake to, instead of making a girl...well you know.  So after much debate and peacing out on my new found annoying friend, I came to the conclusion that Missy Elliott is the one to blame for us arriving at this point. She really changed the game in reference to combining the two worlds of hip hop and r & b and we are stuck with what we have now. Now dont get me wrong, when Missy combined the two, she did it right. Yes she had her club bangers, but she also could still slow it down a bit (check Beep Me 911). It also helps that she was a ghost writer in the game for years and that she worked with Jodeci who helped start this movement. It wasn't long before everybody and their mother was trying to copy her style; even down to her weird videos. But all you got was a watered down imitation that was completely lacking in any originality.  Now we are so far removed from what R & B was to where we can't even recognize it anymore. This is why Amy Winehouse blew up. Sorry guys, but that was NOT R & B.

Well the closest thing we have to a Missy Elliott today is Santigold. I'm actually shocked when I run into people who have never heard of her especially since she's been around for a while and I discovered her at SXSW 4 years ago. The LA Times was really hyping her up and I heard You'll Find A Way and Creator which really impressed me, so I thought it was worth a pop in. Well let's just say that she really knows how to put on a good show. When she came out, it was her, her dj, and two bootylicious girls who looked and acted like they were straight out of Public Enemy. They would just stand there motionless military style while wearing shades and would break out in synchronized dance moves randomly throughout the set.  Every part of her show just brought out the weirdness and fun that had been missing for so long. Well 4 years later, she's still bringing her own spin on R&B and hip hop complete with the weirdness. All I have to say is that when you come on stage to gold rose petals ala Coming to America, that you earn points with me. Check out her song Go or Disparate Youth. You will see that there is a load of talent to accompany her showmanship. Santigold is FRESH!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJos7KTLue4

Next up is Charles Bradley. This is a true throwback attempt at the soulful R & B our parents grew up. He even kind of looks like James Brown. The problem is, that he tries too hard to be James and not himself. Which is understandable, because if you're going to copy someone, why not be the hardest working man in showbiz. And just looking at the 17 kids Brown produced, it looks like he was doing some major work outside of the recording studio as well. Well the good thing is that Bradley has certainly paid his dues. He has been in the game for decades trying to make it but it wasn't until he teamed up with his recent band until he found success. They brought the right style that young hipsters pretend they recognize from the old days. Combine this with his soulful voice and lyrics about the plight of the black man or missing some lovin from his woman and you've got close to what we have been longing for. The only problem is, that it sort of feels a bit generic.  I'm not saying it's not good but man it really does just sound like James Brown covers. Well, Bradley does have some good songs and everytime he performs he leaves everything he has on the stage. So because of that, I'll give him a rating of slightly WEAK.Check him out though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tURR-lIv5FA

No comments:

Post a Comment