Saturday, August 13, 2016

Sausage Party

After my date cancelled on me at the last second, I was ironically forced to see a movie called Sausage Party in a dark room that was full of overweight dudes who had probably scarfed down three or four sausages themselves before coming to the theater that night. And while I had planned on seeing this movie at some point anyway, I was desperately hoping that none of these overzealous fans of dirty cartoons would get too excited and start grabbing their own sausages during the infamous food orgy scene.

But as I sat there in fear, I slowly began to realize that I am only a few years and a few more Fatburgers away from being one of these lonely miscreants myself. So perhaps it’s time I face my eventual reality and get fitted for a full length brown overcoat now. Does anyone know if London Fog has a sale going on? I have a feeling I’ll be one of those guys who likes to masturbate in a high end artsy theater, so I may as well dress the part right? Why am I being more disgusting than usual you ask? Well it’s because I believe it’s the perfect intro to my review of such a raunchy and juvenile film.

I don’t smoke weed but in spite of that fact, I will say that I have still somehow managed to enjoy most of Seth Rogen’s movies. He does get on my nerves from time to time but overall he’s a pretty funny dude. I got what he was trying to do with Pineapple Express and if I was blazed out of my mind I would’ve thought that it was the funniest thing ever. But I wasn’t, so I walked out of the theater wishing that I had waited to see it on Netflix so I could pause it and go on a beer run when necessary.

Well when I first read about him and Evan Goldberg working on an adult cartoon called Sausage Party, I thought it was going to be more of the same; but once I saw the preview and it looked like it could legitimately be a Pixar film, my interest was piqued a bit. Now I knew all along that this wasn’t going to be a family film by any stretch of the imagination but the preview gave me some hope that it would be more than just 90 minutes of cum and weed jokes; which is basically Rogen’s go to every time he’s on screen.

But sadly the first 45 minutes of the film is just that. They do try their best to a bit "clever" by poking fun of some age old racial stereotypes and ethnic tensions that have been around centuries; most notably the ongoing battle between Muslims (Pita) and Jews (Bagel), but overall the first half of the film relies too heavily on the fact that there’s cartoon grocery items cursing and talking about sex. Don’t get me wrong, the first few times you hear them drop the f bomb it’s cool but after a while you’re hoping that there’s more to the story than a sausage just biding his time until he can enter a bun.

And thankfully by the time the secret was out that the gods (humans) actually cook and eat them once they leave the grocery store, the story picks up a bit. Rogen is on a mission to get proof of this so he can warn everyone in the store and along the way he has some pretty interesting trips to the liquor aisle as well as the Mexican food aisle. But the clear highlights of the film (outside of the orgy of course) belong to the special guest appearances of Meatloaf and Stephen Hawking (gum). Trust me when I say you have to see it for yourself.

I do have to say that I found myself laughing out loud more than once and really in the end that’s all you can ask of a comedy. So I, along with the entire theater of people who absolutely wreaked of weed, would give this film a rating of barely FRESH!

No comments:

Post a Comment