Monday, October 12, 2015

Sleeping With Other People

I think part of the reason I'm not married yet is because I grew up watching movies like Weird Science, Real Genius and Cold Sweat starring Shannon Tweed. Those wonderful movies laid the groundwork for the kind of woman I want to spend the rest of my life with today.So basically what that means is, if we aren't having sex in a psychiatrist's office or riding off into the sunset in a Winnebago while listening to Tears for Fears, you simply don't have what I'm looking for.

This is also why I'm such a sucker for a decent Rom-Com. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely hate most of the lazy trash they've been releasing for the past decade or so but every now and then you get a fairly decent one. And going into Sleeping with Other People, I was hopeful that there would at least be some witty dialogue going on while I sat and stared at the lovely Alison Brie for 90 minutes; and thankfully there was.

Now because it is a Rom-Com, there were a few moments where it fell into the typical traps that you normally associate with these movies. You have the unfaithful girl who is looking for love in all the wrong places and you also have the womanizing playboy who says he will settle down when he finds the right woman. But what makes this movie different is Leslye Headland's (writer, director) unique approach to it. She presents their issues in an honest and a tangible manner that makes you connect with not only their ways of thinking but with how they react in certain situations as well.

As a guy, I would never agree to a plutonic relationship with someone as beautiful as Brie is but in the context of this movie it sort of makes sense. After randomly running into one another for the first time since they lost their virginity to each other in college, they instantly decide that it would be better for them long term, to remain friends as they have ruined every relationship they've ever had with their sex and commitment issues. They just aren't emotionally mature enough to handle everything that comes with it.

Thankfully Headland avoids the Wedding Crashers method of gratuitously showing you a montage of flying women and their boobs being thrown on to beds (I can't believe I just typed that, of course that's what I want), she instead approaches the sex scenes in a manner that makes you empathize with what the characters are going through. They aren't sad by any means, it's just that they are presented in a way that's completely in tune with their makeup.  And that's just part of what makes this movie special.

You of course also have the hilarious "going to a kid's birthday party on Molly" scene along with everything that comes out of the mouth of Jason Mantzoukas (Rafi from The League) to keep you laughing.

The rest I will leave to you to discover on your own but in the end, I left the theater with a huge smile on face and with the hope that I too could find the girl I lost my virginity to. So I suggest you go see this movie so that you can feel the same. I rate this movie as FRESH!

No comments:

Post a Comment