Tuesday, March 3, 2015

SXSW 2015 Preview: Metz and Slothrust

In an attempt to get myself into partying shape for SXSW this year, I actually stepped out of my apartment for the first time in a while this past weekend and let's just say that the results were mixed at best. I woke up Saturday morning with a huge gash on my forehead after having apparently gotten into a fight with myself the night before. The most violent thing I remember happening that night was hanging out with hipsters who were wearing black fishnet pantyhose and then passing out while eating Detroit style pizza. Maybe that's part of the Detroit experience; seeing if you can actually finish your pizza before getting mugged.

And then there was Saturday night were I promised a friend of mine that I would take her to Mars on her 37th birthday (seven years from now); the look of confusion on her face was only topped by the look of shock after I promised her a black baby for her 38th. So suffice it to say, that I have a little work to do before moshing in the pits of these next two acts that I'm about to preview for you.

First up is Metz out of Toronto; they are a noise punk rock band whose sound reminds you of the Horrors and their first album. This is of course before the Horrors got smart, sold their souls, and started using synthesizers. If you want a trip back to the days of Nirvana's Bleach album, then this band is definitely for you. Their lead pours out every bit of angst that's in him into the mic while his band mates punish your ears with blistering guitars and the result is nothing short of electrifying. I love noise, I love distortion, and I love this band so they get a rating of FRESH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNxVxzLnYBQ

Next up is the band Slothrust; and I have to be honest when I say that the only reason I checked these guys out in the first place was because of their name. And it's because they have such a fresh name that I am convincing myself that I actually like them. Their songs sound like they have a female Johnny Cash telling twisted stories over distorted guitar rhythms and their style reminds me of a post grunge rock band in the mid to late 90's, so basically it's Nada Surf meets Silverchair. Now I'm purposely underselling them a bit as I do think they are talented and offer something fresh to the rock game but there is a slight chance that six months from now I'll look at this article and ask myself what in the world was I thinking. They get a rating of FRESH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cANcbev6ZFc



No comments:

Post a Comment