Monday, February 9, 2015

Quilt and Fatima

Believe it or not I was actually out on a date the other night, and knowing that we both love music more than the average human does, she asked me what was the best show I saw last year. I immediately responded with Interpol’s ACL after show at Stubbs but sadly this was followed by a deafening silence and an internal eye roll that I don’t think she quite knew I noticed. So naturally I responded by asking her the same question and she replied with some folk band that uses ukuleles and fishing line for their instruments. She said they were great because they wrote an anti-violence against women song to combat all the pro-violence against women songs that exist in country today.

When did this become a trend? I grew up in Podunk Texas, so I was forced to hear every awful country song there is and I certainly don’t remember any songs about killing women! I remember Willie Nelson singing about his ex having a big butt and everyone loving it because that was his big diss on her; and I also know that some dude sang a song about tears in his beer but that was about as harsh as it ever got! Is country now full of jerks who heard the Marshall Mathers LP and suddenly felt inspired to pick up a banjo and jack his style? I didn’t think it was possible for me to hate this genre anymore than I already did but I learned that I should never say never. So with that in mind, I purposely went out and found a folk band (and yes I group folk and country together sometimes because most of it sucks) that’s safe for everyone to love because their actually fairly creative and likeable; only one or two of them wears a hat with feathers in it.

That band I’m talking is this folky psychedelic group out of Boston called Quilt. Most of their songs have all 4 members singing throughout them and their best song Saturday Bride came about from their randomly jamming together and unintentionally forming a solid song. Their song Tired and Buttered is a bit more upbeat as far as tempo goes but it works as they are able to keep the spirit of folk music while also making you rock out; and that’s something that rarely happens. They aren’t the greatest band ever but I certainly do like their potential, so I rate them as kind of FRESH and I suggest that you check them out.

The next artist I want to talk about is Fatima. It sounds as if she is trying to revive the Neo soul movement all by herself as her style is a combination of Zhane’s vocal ability and D’Angelo’s jazzy sound. And since every hipster out there has all of a sudden discovered and claimed D’Angelo as their own; once again robbing me of my childhood, you can be the first on the scene to claim Fatima. She is definitely FRESH!

No comments:

Post a Comment