Sunday, November 16, 2014

Raury and Lower

After my experience with We Were Promised Jetpacks this past Tuesday, I've learned that I have to be careful when it comes to giving scrubs props in public; scrubs should be constantly reminded that they are just that, scrubs. Don't get me wrong, I actually like a few Jetpacks songs and their new album shows that they can actually make good music that's not poppy. In fact I like their new album more than their first one but it's not like it's hard to recreate their sound live; it's still basically the same three chords over and over again.

Anyway, at the after party my drunk friend was about to lose her mind because she had the opportunity to get a pic with the band. I had no desire to meet them but I was a weird Miller High Life drunk at the time and this cute girl kept bugging me to run up and get in the pic too. After about 5 minutes of back and forth with this girl, I finally caved in and ran up to get in the pic but when they saw that a dude was getting in on the photo, they immediately dispersed without even acknowledging my presence. Eaaaaaaasy scrubs! Let's not forget that your lead singer is fat and that you are from a country that England basically boned in Braveheart.

The point is, it's tough for me to give an 18 year old from Atlanta any props at this point in my life but he does look and feel like he's going to be the next Pharrell. His space age and dreamy Woodcrest Manor piques your interest a bit as you instantly realize that something's different about this scrawny little kid from the dirty south, and this track alone separates him from the other 300,000 high school kids that are out there with mix tapes. God's Whisper shows that he's basically a poet speaking and singing over non traditional hip hop beats, some of which have a rock feel to them. The opening track on his mixtape Indigo Child will get your Saturday night started right as War Pt. 1 is a pretty on point jam. And his What Goes Up reminds you of Kanye's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, which is saying a mouthful. I rate this kid as FRESH and suggest that you check him out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlCGwLMPT7g

Next up is Lower, a band from Denmark that sounds like early dysfunctional punk. Does it come any other way? Some of their songs like Lost Weight, Perfect Skin sound heavily influenced by the 80's; think early and not that good Cure. It's like Television recruited the lead singer from The Stone Roses and formed a band. But then they have songs like Pictures of Passion and Escape that are closer to modern hard core punk; songs that make you want to punch a hole in the wall because your mom brought home Twizzlers when you asked for Starburst. I prefer this style to their brief dabbling in emo punk but I respect them both and I rate these guys as FRESH.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5m1pfZivl8

No comments:

Post a Comment