Thursday, October 9, 2014

Annabelle

I've never really been one to believe in ghost stories and the like but I did recently stay in a mansion in Cape Cod that has been there for well over 100 years. And before we all moved in for the week the owner let us know that they had received complaints from past guests about the place possibly being haunted. Now I know that so far this story sounds like total BS but believe me when I say that it's true. I personally thought that the owner was just full of it and I simply blew it off as his lame attempt to add to the mystique of the grounds.

But in only our second night there a buddy of mine was having a casual and sober conversation with a female friend of ours when all of a sudden the front door of the house slammed shut on its own. We had it opened so that the fresh air could come in through the screen door. And as my buddy tried to open it again, he said it felt as though something was causing resistance on the other end as he struggled to pull it back to its original position. Again, I simply blew it off as their falling for the owner's nonsense.

But then soon after this occurrence and admittedly a few beers into the night, I saw what I thought was a bright and flickering porch light on the other side of a door in the house (there were literally 7 to 8 doors in this place). And soon after I saw the light we heard two distinct knocks coming from that door. My buddy laughed and dared me to answer it, so I did. I opened the door and discovered that it wasn't a porch light or even a door to the outside, it was a door to one of the many bedrooms in the house. The room was pitch black and it had another one of our friends in it who was already asleep for the night. And he had been out for a while! Now I'm not saying that Annabelle was in the house or anything, I'm just saying I started taking inventory and realized that I was the only black man in the house, meaning it was high time for my ass to get out of there!!!

And this is why I can't understand why people in these horror flicks try and stick things out. The second I bring an ugly looking doll into my home and a satanic cult happens to break in that very night to admire it, that's the same night that I throw up the deuces and say "Peace! I'm out!" But no not Mia and John Gordon; they decide that after the break in which involved an attempt to kill their unborn child, they were going to go back into that house to try and live a normal life. I guess they were just going to ignore the fact that one cult member cut her throat and bled all over Annabelle, the antique doll that John had bought as a present for his wife.

Well wouldn't you know it, the same night that Mia returns home from the hospital is the very night televisions start losing reception, sewing machines and record players turn on and off by themselves, and Mia starts seeing visions of little girls running around the home. Even after they realize that something is off and throw the doll away, Annabelle somehow moves with them to their new place. And the second they unpack her, she steps her game up a bit and physical harm starts to take place.

First of all it's creepy to me that Mia is played by an actress whose name is Annabelle Wallis because that's the name of the evil doll that this film is centered around. But I can overlook this weird fact because Mia is certainly pretty to look at. Second this movie is supposed to be the back story of how Annabelle became the carrier of evil and serves as a prequel to The Conjuring in that regard, but sadly it's nowhere near as scary as that movie was. Its scare tactics rely way too much on household appliances and feels more like a Paranormal Activity movie with its cheesy setups that yield disappointing results. It's not until you reach the third act of the movie where physical contact is involved that you finally begin to feel creeped out. But the sad thing is, is once they reach the film's climatic scene you can tell step for step what is going to happen as the writers and the director follow the How to Make a Horror Movie 101 class and shamelessly give you one of the most predictable endings ever!

I went in actually looking forward to seeing this movie but towards the end of it I was looking forward to leaving more than anything else. I rate it as kind of WEAK.

No comments:

Post a Comment