Monday, September 15, 2014

Austin City Limits Day 2 Preview

At this point you're probably still in awe of the last performance Outkast will ever put on in the city of Austin and you're also probably wondering if chicken wrapped in a tortilla and queso is quite possibly the best food that you will ever have in your life! But if these are the most forefront things on your mind, then I'd say overall you're off to a pretty good start to a weekend that would normally be soaked in urine and self loathing. Or maybe that's just MY typical weekend? Why can't it be ACL weekend every weekend? This is the closest to normal I will ever get! Anyway, on to shows I will be seeing on Day 2.

Somehow this guy got lost in the mix with the other 120 bands that were putting random years in their names and I forgot how fun his music was. But The Chain Gang of 1974 takes the best parts of every 80's synthesizer group and puts them into one sound. He has the "I'm constantly on recreational drugs" look on his face and with his catchy beats he seems to get what makes music really fun. All he is missing now is the British accent and we'd have the rebirth of Tears for Fears! Well not quite but pretty damn close. It means another early start for you at 11:30 at the RetailMeNot stage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umSHkIHa5Vg

Full disclosure on this next group; I actually know most of them and I was blessed enough to even sing with them on one occasion. Thankfully for them and their career though it was just for a special event and it wasn't under their Levite name but hey it was awesome still the same! And just because we are friends doesn't mean I'd hype them up if they weren't any good. They are an award winning Gospel group that brings different styles to their sound which include funky Creole music and even a few Caribbean elements. They are a fun show with truly gifted singers and musicians to pop in on before you go off to cover yourself in sin for the rest of the day. They're on at 12:15 at the Bevintel stage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly7WhXeaNTk

At this point I will head on over to hear Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue on the Honda Stage. I'm not normally down with mostly instrumental bands, especially jazz bands from New Orleans because it's typically a tired rendition of the real thing. And I'd rather hear that kind of music when I'm in the Big Easy and I have an older Cajun woman whispering indiscernible things in my ear. But these guys are off the chain! They are actually successful in blending jazz and funk, and they even throw in a little hip hop to boot. This group is full of sick musicians and there is no way that I can claim that I love music without seeing some of the best the business has to offer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yRhacGLGEs

I am hoping that at 3:30 I can finally break my streak of missing Polica perform; every time they are in town I miss them. They are an indie pop group whose lead singer looks like the long lost sister of the Keiran and Macaulay Culkin but man she sure can sing. Whether it's through a golden throat or her natural voice, she carries this group that has RnB elements in their music from time to time. Show up and you are sure to find your future husband or wife here. Austin Ventures stage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NcrCY-ztLk

I can write a book on why you should see Interpol at 4:30 but I will try and contain myself here. For as long as I can remember music magazines have tried to compare countless bands and their sound to that of Joy Division's; but it wasn't until I heard Interpol that I finally found one that we could agree on. If you don't have Turn On The Bright Lights, then you need to download it this instant because it is one of the best albums to come out in the past 20 years. This is moody indie music at its best. Carlos D (bass) along with his bolo ties and his combat boots is no longer with the band because he felt as though he needed more time to dedicate to DJ'ing and writing poetry with Kobe Bryant. But thankfully Paul and Daniel are still there and it's worth popping in just to see Daniel dance around with his guitar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qetipkznG80

I will pass on the cute Swedish pop group Icona Pop mainly because I will be the oldest person there by about 30 years but I reserve the right to change my mind if I get a backstage pass. Apparently Swedish women love Black men; so I'm hoping that we can get together, make the next Willow Smith, and immediately retire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxxajLWwzqY

I will however be seeing Iggy Azalea and I am not proud of this decision at all. When I first heard her music I literally almost threw up in my mouth. An Australian with a fake ghetto rap voice??? But then I saw her and her asset listed as one of the top ten best butts in the business and I decided to give her another listen. Men are so easy. Her lyrics and her style are both still unintentionally comical but damn those beats draw me in every time. Let's be real, if she were black no one would have ever heard of her because there are plenty of black women out there with big butts that can rap that get overlooked everyday. But it is what it is, I'm not going to hate on her for giving the people (including me) what they want. I've always wanted an non criminal Aussie chick with a big butt that likes hip hop music. Maybe we can get together and make the next Drake and immediately retire. 5:30 at the RetailMeNot stage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ujv_fwq3Cs

Lana Del Rey sounds like she should be making the theme music for every Bond movie that will ever be made from this point on. She has a beautiful and seductive voice to match her beautiful and seductive appearance. She is crazy talented but I cant help but laugh at her when she tries to rap from time to time. She somehow survived the SNL debacle and seems to be going strong and gaining more and more fans with her trippy pop sound. I'll be there for the spectacle more than anything else but I would suggest getting there early because her die hard fans are known to camp out super early. 6:30 on the Samsung stage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJABBmAMXnY

Now we're down to the big acts. Major Lazer could be fun if half of their guest appearances show up but that won't happen. Diplo has talent so I'll split time between this electronic/hip hop dance party and the weird indie rock collabo of Broken Bells.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TrQXlA7258
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhBewKu80Mg

Last up will probably be Skrillex for me. Nothing wrong with dancing to some dub step before I MAYBE give Eminem a complimentary listen as I head out to see the Hunters perform a show at the Mohawk later that night. I really hope Chappelle comes out on stage instead of M&M's and just says "Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti!" over and over again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSeNSzJ2-Jw









No comments:

Post a Comment