Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Naomi Punk and Benjamin Booker

Now that I have made a conscious decision to become a struggling artist at the age of 75, maybe it's time I move out to Marfa, Texas, work at an art gallery, and tell everyone that I'm a poet; yet I still have the money to buy polo shirts and take my girlfriend out to dinner. I was just there and this was an actual person that I met. How can these people afford to do this? Maybe it's because it's a small and sleepy town in the middle of nowhere Texas, so rent must cost $20 a month. Whatever the reason, expect to see me living in a tepee in the next 6 months fighting off roadrunners and rattlesnakes! But before I do, here are a few real artists to check out.

First up is Naomi Punk. As much as these guys may try and run from Washington's grunge roots, grunge still pops up in their sound. It's closer to being lazy garage punk than anything else but I won't be surprised to see these guys make an appearance during a club scene in the new television show The Crow : Oh Y'all Must've Forgot, coming to Fox three springs from now. Come on, you know it's inevitable; its been far too long since someone has tried to capitalize off of Brandon Lee's surprise hit from the 90's. What I like best about this band is that their lyrics are fairly simple and that's perfect for someone as dumb as me. I rate these guys as a little WEAK, not because I don't like them but because I need to hear more range from them as they grow. Check them out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_5CE3c83Lg

Next up is Benjamin Booker;  he looks like the token black guy that C3 would typically book for ACL, so they don't have to book any real Black acts in his place. It's generic garage rock that has a southern fried country flavor at times. This is music that is tailor made for the daytime slot at an outdoor festival. And kids will absolutely love him because this will mark the first time in their lives that they get to smoke weed outside of their friend's basement; so everything will sound and feel awesome to them, including this. Get on this guy now because he is the opening act for Jack White this summer. Have You Seen My Son would be the best of what he has to offer but don't get caught up in the fool's gold. David Letterman absolutely loves him, so that should say everything you need to know. I rate him as WEAK but decide for yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkUIknxbg6Y


No comments:

Post a Comment