Saturday, March 1, 2014

SXSW Preview 5 : Slaves, Perfect Pussy, and Sza

I continue to burn bridges in the infant stage of my writing career by trashing most of the artists that this nice PR firm sends me out to preview for them. And apparently I am too lazy to actually vote for the Austin Music Blogger awards, so consequently they tried to charge me a cover price to get into the awards show! Yeah, that didn't quite happen. But I figure maybe its time for me to actually make friends and hopefully stop the bleeding at some point. So I have decided that I will only preview or review artists that I actually like for at least two to three days and see where that gets me; probably right back on my couch! Who knows though, Jimmy Fallon has next to no talent but being nice got him the Tonight Show gig with The Roots as his supporting band. With my luck I'll end up as Wayne Brady's sidekick on his syndicated late night talk show playing the role as the black conspiracy theorist. "You see the game of pool is racist! The game is over when the white ball knocks the black ball clear off the table!" That quote actually belongs to Martin Lawrence in Boomerang but I'll be too lazy to give him credit for it and try and claim it as my own.

So ironically the first artist I'm previewing today happens to be a punk band from Great Britain called Slaves. I was a bit scared to preview them because they were a band that I discovered while drinking by myself at midnight, and typically those bands don't sound nearly as good to me the next day. But these guys actually held up. They literally sound like the reincarnation of the Sex Pistols as they spout out random obscenities and lyrics like "I like it better when you're mad at me, you're really boring when you're nice". This is something I can relate to as I love me some crazy girls too. I rate these guys as FRESH!
http://soundcloud.com/slavesuk/wheres-your-car-debbie-1

Next up is Perfect Pussy, a band out of Syracuse, New York. Their sound is basically organized noise with a chick screaming about how she never wanted children but just a niece apartment with drapes. It's bold punk that I know I shouldn't like because on the surface it sounds like "Sex and the City makes a band", but you can tell there's so much more to it than that. Their demo sounds like it was recorded under my bed but that simply adds to their charm. Plus who isn't in a search for perfect pussy? I rate them as very FRESH!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKPc7kD4vjM

I actually previewed this next artist on my site earlier this year but I think she's worth bringing up again as she will be playing Hype Hotel this SXSW. Sza is an RnB artist from Jersey who has a light voice that sounds like it’s a natural auto tuner. Her sound is next of Sade at times and she even looks a bit like her if you go back to the No Ordinary Love era. At other times, her music sounds like Purity Ring, if they ever decided to go with a hip hop sound.  This is cool, definitely get you laid type music. Who would have ever thought that RnB mixed with bass heavy Enya could sound so good? I think that once she eventually teams up with a real producer she can’t help but take off as she definitely has the vocal chops for indie stardom. Plus lyrics like “None of my panties match, my fella hates it” in Castles, will have dudes having unprotected sex with their girlfriends in no time! Yes, just the mere mention of panties gets us going. Atmosphere and Ice Moon are the highlights on her 8 track mix tape, which for some reason has 3 long movie clips on it. Who is she, the female Redman? Who has the time to put obscure movie clips on their mix tape? Despite this minor complaint, I give her a rating of FRESH and suggest you get on this bandwagon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3OCRsSJNs8&list=PLdXiEijcRY1MVhQJNs-4PBNx_fDLrmijU

No comments:

Post a Comment