Sunday, December 8, 2013

Sinjin Hawke and Joanna Gruesome

My life is about to become a bit more boring as I have now sworn off bars unless there is a show happening there. So you will have fewer stories of hipster greatness from me unless they are rocking skin tight jeans and white tees that shows off their potbellies while wielding their baby making ukuleles. By the way, I’m not sure if that’s an intentional trend to shoot the finger at society’s view of what a man should look like or if hipsters are just lazy and like to drink their fatty PBR’s while eating cheese laden vegetarian meals. Either way, it leads me to talk about the unintentional yet quintessential hipster in James Murphy. If you don’t recognize that name, he is the former lead and co founder of the indie legend band LCD Soundsystem. Ever since he quit the band at the height of their popularity, he’s been kind of lost in obscurity while only popping up randomly to play dj sets in small venues. I missed his first stop in Austin but was the first to buy a ticket to see him spin records when he returned to play a larger venue.

Now I have always said that I don’t see the point of paying money to watch someone famous play their favorite records for us on stage but for some reason I fell victim to Murphy's evil yet genius plan. Think about it, he quits his band at their peak, disappears for a while so that we will pay money to simply see him do anything, and then he will then make his triumphant return at LCD’s reunion tour 3-5 years from now. He’s ultimately trying to create a Daft Punkish mystique and I can’t really fault him for that. Well in the meantime, for the most part his DJ show is boring as you could barely see him; and instead of turning it into a big disco dance party, everyone just stands there trying with all their might to catch a glimpse of the furry hermit he's become. The only fresh part was seeing this meemaw get down with what I assumed were her daughters at the show. I’m sure she had no clue what any of the newer records were but I'm also sure that she was the only one there who was alive when he started playing records from the 70’s. Why do I bring all of this up? I do so because I wish I had spent my money of seeing the up and coming DJ Sinjin Hawke instead.

If you have never heard of Hawke, he is from Montreal and he makes these live and energetic beats that take you places you’d never expect. At one point you’re thinking that this beat is kind of wack and then all of a sudden he drops horns out of nowhere that literally have you yelling “that’s the shit right there!” He does this on one of my favorites, Prom Nite. Another favorite of mine is Crystal Dust, it sounds like something that should be on a Big Boi solo album. Check him out for yourself as I give him a rating of FRESH!


Next, you should check out Joanna Gruesome and their 90’s pop punk sound. They are a 5 piece from Wales with a male and a female lead. Their music makes you want to hop around off beat and it reminds you of when you had your first beer as a teenager. While their not quite a One Direction or Haim guilty pleasure, it is still something that you’ll like but will be ashamed to admit it. Check out Lemonade Girl and Secret Surprise. As of now I give them a rating of kind of WEAK!

No comments:

Post a Comment