Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Nylo and Psychic Teens

I think we have finally reached the point that Bill Murray tried to prepare us for when he yelled “Dogs and cats living together…mass hysteria!!!” Whenever I wear my fedora out on the town, it never fails, girls and guys automatically assume that I’m gay and try and hook me up with their “cute friend”. Or they assume that I’m a drug dealer and start spitting out slang to me that I’ve only heard on The Wire or in a 2 Chainz song. I of course I have no clue what they want and they walk away very confused but I always end up rapping every line of Whoop That Trick from Hustle and Flow in my head as they leave. Ok, so I only know the hook to that song but I add in my own rhymes which of course are fresh. The point of this is, how does a country boy who wears Steve Urkel glasses get mistaken for Nino Brown? “Am I my brother’s keeper??? CMB!!!” And while we’re at it, how is one the biggest names in hip hop right now from Canada? Well the hits keep on coming with the next big thing from Chicago.

Nylo is a strikingly hot white girl from the windy city that grew up listening to way too much Nsync, Aaliyah, and TLC; so naturally she became an R&B singer as a result of it. Now to her credit, she certainly does sound like she belongs in the game. She even brings a little edge as she’s dropping F bombs while singing about getting drunk and boning dudes; maybe I should’ve added R. Kelly to her list of influences as well. Whenever a girl sings about booze and sex, men turn into little prairie dogs, our heads pop out of the ground and you have our complete attention from that point on! She’s hot and I like her stuff but if she weren’t white, there really wouldn’t be anything to separate her from the rest of the pack. Maybe she should start rocking condoms on her glasses like Left Eye did back in the day. Check out her mix tape (yes, you read that correctly) Indigo Summer; every time I tried to stop listening to it another 808 would drop and I would wind up nodding my head to the beat. I rate her as FRESH!


Next up are the Psychic Teens. When it comes to heavy rock, Philly has truly been coming with it lately. The Teens really represent the no nonsense attitudes you get from the people of cheese steak land and also the overall dirtiness of the city. H#te immediately punches you in the face and it just screams for you to basically start your own mosh pit! This is the kind of song that musically makes you think evil is in the air. Other songs like Dose remind you of the dark and heavy Alice in Chains days, which I guess when I think about it, would describe their entire career. The lead has a low monotone voice that Spin compared to Paul Banks from Interpol but it’s not quite that cool. I am not a fan of evil but I am a fan of this band so far. I want to rate them as fresh but I just haven’t heard enough from them at this point to do so, so for now they get a barely WEAK.  

No comments:

Post a Comment