Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Sza and Antwon

Ever since SXSW, my live music experiences have consisted of me getting hammered off of a liter of gin while stumbling over hipsters and krusties to see local grunge and punk acts. But please don’t fret as I am still on the lookout for the next big thing. Oh, and is humanly possible to see every Arum Rae show that will ever be played? How is it that I can’t get her to run off stage and have her voluntarily throw those amazing boobs in my face? I thought that a black guy wearing Rodge glasses was the new black? You remember Rodge from What’s Happening don’t you? Oh well, the day I see a cop come up to me at one of her shows without a drug sniffing dog is the day I know I’m not simply being racially profiled.

The good news for poor Arum is that one possible new obsession has come in the form of Sza. Sza is an RnB artist from Jersey who has a light voice that sounds like it’s a natural auto tuner. She sounds next of Sade at times and even looks a bit like her if you go back to the No Ordinary Love era. At other times, her music sounds like Purity Ring if they ever decided to go with a hip hop sound.  This is cool, definitely get you laid type music. Who would have ever thought that RnB mixed with bass heavy Enya could sound so good? I think that once she eventually teams up with a real producer she can’t help but take off as she definitely has the vocal chops for indie stardom. Plus lyrics like “None of my panties match, my fella hates it” in Castles, will have dudes having unprotected sex with their girlfriends in no time! Atmosphere and Ice Moon are the highlights on her 8 track mix tape, which for some reason has 3 long movie clips on it. Who is she, the female Redman? Who has the time to put obscure movies on their mix tape? Despite this minor complaint, I give her a rating of FRESH and suggest you get on this bandwagon.


Next up is the San Jose rapper Antwon, whose biggest hit so far is the banger Still Guarded. He is a big dude that's a bit gully and sounds like he should be from one of New York’s dirty boroughs. He definitely has the image but to be honest, he is lacking in every other area. This is hipster hip hop; rap that is laid over 80’s pop beats. This is most evident in one of my favorite tracks off of the Fantasy Beds mix tape, Helicopter. Great song that probably should have been included in Ryan Gosling’s Drive; how else do you kick a guys face in but with angry black guys shouting obscenities over beats. Granted his music isn’t spectacular but I would definitely check out his show if he came to town. I give him a rating of kind of WEAK until he releases more material. 

No comments:

Post a Comment