Monday, May 6, 2013

Bleached and Haim


I will consider my experience at the Hunters/Bleached show as a lesson learned. When you have a crush on the lead singer of a punk band, don’t take a female friend with you. As Isabel (Hunters) was rocking out, she apparently kept checking out my companion who looks like she could be in a punk band herself. My friend even commented “I like how she makes eye contact”. It was at that point that I wanted to elbow my friend, throw a bag over Isabel’s head, and throw her over my shoulder to make a run for it.

Why not try and convince my friend to have a three way? Because I live in the real world! The only role I would’ve played in said threesome would be that of the old trainer who dies in Rocky; yelling from the side of the bed, “Give em hell Rock!!” As I have a heart attack and they possibly mourn my death with a montage that's playing Living In America by James Brown.  
Anyway, the Hunters killed it as usual and I actually got to meet Isabel after the show. But I froze like a nerd trying to put on a condom in front of girl for the first time, so she spent the entire time talking to my stupid friend instead! Angry!!!!
The surprise of the show was Bleached. They are two sisters from California who play poppy surfer rock music. Their recorded stuff sounds like a better version of Best Coast but I have seen Best Coast live before and left the show early because it was so boring.  I figured the same would happen here but I ended up staying for the entire set.  They aren’t super cute or anything and they wear weird clothes, so it’s not like you’re staring at their bodies the entire time. They actually put on a good live show and you find yourself dancing off beat while secretly wanting to play a game of beach football. “Johnny fucking Utah! Sorry man, didn’t mean to get in ya face!” This is perfect day drinking by the pool music and I suggest you check them out. Only after seeing them perform will I give them a rating of barley FRESH! Pop in on their songs Think of You and Next Stop.

Next up is Haim. They are the perfect example of a band who has a song that gets some play on Sirius radio, has a few teenage girls tweet about their SXSW performances, and all of a sudden they are the next big thing and become a part of the festival circuit. Don’t get me wrong, they have some talent and get a lot of respect from some of their peers but if you are straight male, you will want to avoid this band. It’s pop that is heavily influenced by Rnb and folk music.  Their best song is Forever but there is a big gap between this song and their other recorded offerings.  Women will love them as they will fill the void that was left when The Bangles and The Spice Girls came back down to Earth. But I am not a woman and I rate them as WEAK!

No comments:

Post a Comment