Thursday, June 14, 2012

What Time IS It?

So I work for a company in a small country suburb of Austin and suffice it to say that most of the employees there arent really up on the new bands that are out right now unless their 8 year olds clue them in. So then I get random questions like "Why is the band Foster the People talking about shooting kids with pump shoes?" "Or why is Gotye pronounced Gauthier?" which is actually a pretty legitimate question. I mean really, Gauthier???? Just call me Key from now on, the two L's in Kelly are silent! Anyway, I send my fellow music nerd an IM with some randon Bear in Heaven lyrics.
http://onlyfreshness.blogspot.com/2012/04/bears-bells-yachts-football.html
Something to the tune of "I feel myself running to you but my legs wont move...dance with me dance with me" and about 30 minutes later she sends a reply stating that she was in the middle of a presentation when that IM popped up and everyone in the room saw it. Um...oops! And after she explained what it meant she tried to talk to them about Daft Punk and they looked back at her with blank stares. Finally one of them gets the courage to ask "Wasn't Daft Punk a Russian astronaut?". This, is why I started this blog. Speaking of, the last random Daft Punk dance party I went to, I think I was the only person in there who was actually alive when their first cd came out.

The reason I bring all of this up is, I thought I was only hanging out with old people until I walked into the No Age and Ceremony show. When I first walked in, I noticed that the place was actually pretty close to capacity but there was no line at the bar. So I take the fool's gold and happily get my drink with no wait in line. I start to get in place for Ceremony and I hear this kid scream, "I just realized that as of 6 hours ago, I'm no longer in high school!!". And his friends high five him!!! Geez, where am I??? So I had to get myself ready for another level. I'm used to punk shows but not teenage punk shows. Those kids can bring it! Well if you have never heard of Ceremony, theyre a hard core punk band from California. Quite a few punk bands have a specific formula and stick to it throughout their album but not these guys. They are not quite Deftones who can sound like Morrissey or Depeche Mode at one point and then hard core metal the next but they do have range. They literally rock your socks off with Cross Them Out or Throwing Bricks or they can sound like Black Flag with Talking on the Telephone, their most accessible song. This show is not for the light hearted who want to watch from afar because literally everyone is going nuts including the lead who looks like he's having fits on stage while he screams "the modern world is surrounding me" over and over and his Johnny Rotten look alike guitarist is jumping from speaker to speaker. Kids are going nuts jumping from the stage and grabbing his mic and screaming lyrics while the bassist who looks like a pirate watches in total bliss. If you're up for a crazy show and some traditional punk, definitely go check these guys out who I would rate as FRESH!


Next up was No Age.
So the night already felt like a win because of the Ceremony performance but I also got to meet Dean the drummer for No Age as I bought my t shirt. I managed not to embarrass myself as I did with Japandroids but thats only because I kept my responses to 2 to 3 words max. And by now everyone knows about my previous No Age experience and this was no different. I didnt learn my lesson. I was right next to the speaker again, this time with my new found fresh out of high school buddies. But by this point of the night it was about half capacity because I'm pretty sure most of the crowd still had a curfew.  And sadly,  the rest of the people that stayed were too old to mosh but that didnt stop me and the high school kids from going nuts as they ripped through Teen Creeps. Dean and Randy dont appear to be slowing down one bit as their sound was as loud and energetic as ever. The really cool thing about their show is that typically when a setlist is new song heavy, you're for the most part bored and just waiting to hear the old stuff. But honestly their new material was the highlight of the night. You can tell they write their songs for live performances and it sounded as tight and as bratty as ever.; which is promising for their upcoming album. Do yourself a favor and check these FRESH guys out. Also check out the link I provided for my review of them to get a better feel for the band as a whole.


1 comment: