Thursday, March 29, 2012

More Music from Hipsterville

So as you'll soon begin to realize with the suggestions I make, I have a thing for two piece bands. Maybe it was getting over exposed to George Clinton and the Parliament Funkadelic  or Earth, Wind, and Fire, and even throw in every hip hop act since 1992. But those guys always had 30 people on stage. In the first two cases it was ok because everyone on stage had a role. You'd play trumpet, hit the bongos, or walk around on stage wearing nothing but a diaper. But the hip hop acts bothered me because it would be 20 dudes on stage and everyone has a mic. And the only person who's mic sucked would be the actual rapper who you went to see. And it's not like the other guys actually know the song; all they know is the last word of each rhyme. "....TIGHT!!!.....NIGHT!!" Just annoying! Do these guys get paid? Do they actually get groupies??? So right now I'm actually feeling the more stripped down sound. I'm sure I'll get over it. But with that said...

One of the best shows at SXSW this year was by the Japandroids. I actually discovered them 2 years ago at SX but thankfully they came back. It was Friday morning and everyone and I mean everyone parties balls at SX, so morning is a relative term. Point is we were all hung over, including the band. So I finally get to tell the drummer David, how he inspired me to start drumming again and the only thing I actually get out is "uh...you guys rock!" He looks at me a bit confused; not sure if I'm the guy working security that day or what, and says "uh...thanks". If you have never seen them live, that's what their sound is built for. Recording is an afterthought. Their recorded material is awesome but nothing compared to their live shows. What's great about them is that their lyrics remind you of the simple things in life. They're all about partying, chasing girls, and falling in love. But most of that is drowned out by the distortion and the drums. It literally sounds like there's 5 of them on stage. Check them out. They are definitely not for everyone though, so for that reason I give them a rating a very fresh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOoHAbnhxNI
http://japandroids.com/

The next band, I had moderate interest in. Two cute British chicks who sing moody pop music. Hey you give me that accent and some fresh haircuts and I'll check out anything. They're called 2:54.  I saw them at some small Rainey St bar's backyard and as it typically goes in a backyard, the set up couldn't handle a show and their equipment failed. But for the few songs I heard, they sounded pretty good and I could definitely see the appeal. Nothing too complicated, just pseudo dark pop complaining about being in a city that sucks because it rains all of the time, so they are stuck in dark taverns with toothless drunken men who say inappropriate things. Amazingly the city they are referencing isn't Houston. (aaah...Houston. I kid, i kid). So while it wasn't for me I can see why they will be popular and hopefully will replace The XX. Rating - kind of weak.
twofiftyfour.net/


No comments:

Post a Comment